custom mount for dual battery charging relay

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
hey everyone,

i had some free time and i wanted to get some of my power wire and my relay out from under my hood. so i came up with a few idea and decided on mounting the relay and wires under the fender. here is the finsihed result.

let me know what you all think.

p1133164_1.jpg

p1133164_2.jpg

p1133164_3.jpg

p1133164_4.jpg

p1133164_5.jpg

p1133164_6.jpg

p1133164_7.jpg

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Justin;1133541 said:
Isn't that Kicker wire amazing? :)

Kicker HPM series? I have the same power wire, even the same colour. Kicker does offer simmilar looking cable though, i wonder if they have same manufacturer? But maybe not, don't know for sure. I've seen both cables and they are identical just the brand is different.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
figgie;1134042 said:
Copper is copper!

Kicker, Stinger, Monster of generic welding cable. All do the same thing. Get the electron flow from point A to B.

Yeup.

The neat thing about the Kicker wire, and apparently the Stinger too (I didn't know they had implemented this shielding) is that it is extremely flexible.

Rockford Fosgate also uses the same technology. Tsunami has picked it up too!

It makes it a joy to install with :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
technology?

All it is, is adding more wires of thinner guage to the bundle.

Like those kicker/stinger are hovering around 200 strand count on a 4 gauge wire.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
i know stinger does and im not sure about the others though is that they are oxygen free, which are proven to have better conductivity that non-oxygen free copper. There are different qualities of copper, but yeah when you get down to it its still copper. I just stick with stingr because they have a really good quailty product and i get it all for free from them.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
shenronzero;1134733 said:
which are proven to have better conductivity that non-oxygen free copper.

Oh boy, You chose the WRONG word.

Proven to be?

Based on what criteria?

Electrical Skin effect? Sorry. The frequency (20khz tops) is not high enough to use the outer portion of the conductor.

Current Bunching? Same answer as the Electrical Skin Effect.

So what "phenomena" explains the OFC conductor having better conductivity than non OFC? (this I got to see!)

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
figgie;1136541 said:
Oh boy, You chose the WRONG word.

Proven to be?

Based on what criteria?

Electrical Skin effect? Sorry. The frequency (20khz tops) is not high enough to use the outer portion of the conductor.

Current Bunching? Same answer as the Electrical Skin Effect.

So what "phenomena" explains the OFC conductor having better conductivity than non OFC? (this I got to see!)

Wow. thanks Figgie. I never even thought why cable companies advertise cables in audio applications as OFC. Just never came to my mind at all. But i was wondering if Copper is copper and it's conductivity is not different, what is the reason for differently sounding cables. The test that are available to me showed that tinned copper adds coloring and brightness to the sound, while naked copper offered more neutral sound. Also, OFC copper from different manufactures reproduced frequencies differently when all other equipment was the same. The most differences were visible in the upper midrange and solid copper wire had many advantages over braided or twisted multi-strained copper.

Soft pretty jacket is only good for ease of installation and that High-end feel in your hands. Every car-audio shop owner i know offered to touch the cable to the customers as a selling point, not pointing out that once the cable is under the carpet they will never touch it again and the jacket has nothing to do with the performance. Nevertheless, lesser or cheaper Taiwanese or Chinese power wire is often sold as 4 gauge but in fact being a 6 or an 8 gauge cable wrapped in a thicker plastic for imitate true 4 gauge. I think that was the point of the original poster to explain his choice of Stinger. If you count on 4 gauge in your system and buy false 4 gauge from china than you might have some issues with performance of your system.

Last edited:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pernilongo;1137036 said:
But i was wondering if Copper is copper and it's conductivity is not different, what is the reason for differently sounding cables. The test that are available to me showed that tinned copper adds coloring and brightness to the sound, while naked copper offered more neutral sound. Also, OFC copper from different manufactures reproduced frequencies differently when all other equipment was the same. The most differences were visible in the upper midrange and solid copper wire had many advantages over braided or twisted multi-strained copper.

For a low-level signal wire maybe (and I say maybe because the slight difference will not be noticeable to 99% of the population, and that's in a quiet listening environment, not in an automotive environment).

From a power wire standpoint, no. You are not going to 'color' your sound by using a tinned power wire. If you are, you have a very, very poor quality amplifier.

Let's not get into what 'this internet report' said. Can YOU hear a difference?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
annoyingrob;1143358 said:
For a low-level signal wire maybe (and I say maybe because the slight difference will not be noticeable to 99% of the population, and that's in a quiet listening environment, not in an automotive environment).

From a power wire standpoint, no. You are not going to 'color' your sound by using a tinned power wire. If you are, you have a very, very poor quality amplifier.

Yeah, nobody was talking about a power wire. that would be pretty crazy if someone said that tinned power wire colors the sound. And that was not an internet "report". Never used internet to learn about car audio and never will.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
annoyingrob;1143358 said:

I'm really dont want to all technical or anything but I am a musican... I have played trumpet for about 12 years and my hearing is finely tuned through training. It's called relative pitch. I can tell if a pitch is sharp, flat or just plain off which translates to automotive terms as Hz (musical terms "cents"). So with what I do I can tell the difference in quality for most things. As far as the wire is concerned i know the greater the power i can run through without loosing power over distance the better. but then you also have to take the battery(ies) into account as well as the alt. The only way to be sure about all of it is to check votlage from front to back while there is a good draw on the whole thing. thats really the only way to see what "quality of wire" you have. to see if your really getting all the power to your amps.

audio is such a bitch sometimes:biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
shenronzero;1143498 said:
I'm really dont want to all technical or anything but I am a musican... I have played trumpet for about 12 years and my hearing is finely tuned through training. It's called relative pitch. I can tell if a pitch is sharp, flat or just plain off which translates to automotive terms as Hz (musical terms "cents"). So with what I do I can tell the difference in quality for most things. As far as the wire is concerned i know the greater the power i can run through without loosing power over distance the better. but then you also have to take the battery(ies) into account as well as the alt. The only way to be sure about all of it is to check votlage from front to back while there is a good draw on the whole thing. thats really the only way to see what "quality of wire" you have. to see if your really getting all the power to your amps.

audio is such a bitch sometimes:biglaugh:

but as you well know, I am sure. A musicians environment has minimal early reflections to interfere with the fundamental frequency of the instrument/s. Hence why concert halls or jazz clubs have sound absorbtion behind the musicians and also in strategic place. In a car. All that goes out the door as it is a very reflective (sound wave wise) environment.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
figgie;1144267 said:
but as you well know, I am sure. A musicians environment has minimal early reflections to interfere with the fundamental frequency of the instrument/s. Hence why concert halls or jazz clubs have sound absorbtion behind the musicians and also in strategic place. In a car. All that goes out the door as it is a very reflective (sound wave wise) environment.

true unless you use a large amount of sound dentaning material in the vehicle... even then its really up in the air... or if you can find the structural resonance frequency of the car... i know the supra's (at least mine) is around 45Hz to 49Hz

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
shenronzero;1144985 said:
true unless you use a large amount of sound dentaning material in the vehicle... even then its really up in the air... or if you can find the structural resonance frequency of the car... i know the supra's (at least mine) is around 45Hz to 49Hz

Don't confuse sound deading with sound absorbtion.

Sound deading dampens external sound from entering the cabin.
Sound absorbtion is used inside of the cabin to absorb sound and specifically the higher frequency sounds. No way to do that unless you build "plugs" for the windows etc. :)