custom exhaust 2.75" or 3.00"

mkIII2jz

Jan 6, 2008
tenino
i am going to have some custom piping done but im not sure what kind of muffler i sholud get. maybe flowmasters or an imeco i just dont know because that kinda stuff is for v8s. I am also not sure if i want 3" or 2.75" piping this will be from the headers back there will be no cat

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
mkIII2jz;949665 said:
no, go with the 2.75 then

I'd go with 2.5 or 2.75 if you're n/a. I don't know much about n/a exhaust setups, though, so don't quote me on that one.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Turbo = 3 inch
N/A = controversial, but 2.75 inch IMO. It's a balance between the whole 2.5 vs 3 inch thing :D

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
I went from 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" on my auto N/A. The slightly larger pipe made the engine lazier until I really pushed the pedal. Peak power at high RPM did increase but low end responsiveness took a hit. If you are driving an automatic, I would not recommend anything larger than 2-1/2" because the auto likes to keep the Rpm's down.

For a stick driven N/A, up to 2-3/4" may be fine since you have better control over your normal operating RPM. For most drivers, 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" is still probably the best choice. The smaller exhaust will also sound more aggressive (more like a sports car and less like a old worn out truck). If you are a racer and keep the rpm between 4,000 and 6,000 much of the time 2-3/4 may be better.

My recommendation is 2-1/2". A 3" exhaust is simply too big for our N/A.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I run 3" on my NA,
and I have yet to find a faster non-turbo that will out run it.
In fact, I have out run Every stock Turbo Mk3 that I have ever come up against.

The only place velocity is beneficial is in the header primaries.
Smaller pipe will only 'Look' better if the car isn't tuned properly.

When you run a more free-flowing exhaust,
you have less exhaust diluting your incoming charge.

This means you must have more fuel going in, or the engine runs Lean,
and makes Less HP.

It isn't the slower moving exhaust flow in the pipe,
or the reduced Back Pressure,
that causes people to have less power when they go to a large pipe.

It is the fact that they didn't add more fuel to deal with the reduced exhaust contamination in the next charge.

If your not willing to add a good A/F meter,
and something basic like a S-AFC to address the increased fuel requirements,
Then yes,
stick with a pinched-off exhaust........