curious?

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
what do you guys think is a safe time to complete a motor swap, 7m to 7m, replace a clutch and fix other small things in bay, just looking for an estimate, or times others have complete on thier own.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
if we are talking NA - NA or T - T prob less time but if were talking a swap...
can be done in a weekend if you know your stuff, are experienced and dont run into any snags. for a shop to do it prob a month is a good safe bet depending how experienced they are with it.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
With just basic mechanical skills you could finish the job in 3 full weekends tops. With the motor out the clutch change is ridiculously easy. N/A's are easier then turbo, but still turbo isn't that bad.

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
well the thing is i want to do it becuase ive done na to na and na to turbo, so im sure i have enough experience, i mena im no professional, and im slowly gathering all the parts i need, im not in any rush. Im nearing the point where i will have all th parts to go ahead and start working on my car.

Haha ive been gathering parts since my first supra so i have quite a few parts, haha ive not intalled a single one haha.

So okay so i want to do it my self and some one else but i have 3 concerns.
1) i have two jobs 2 fuill time, One job i work from m-f 8-430 and another from 5- 11 5 days a week. <-- this job i can take a leave of absence from. but the first one i cannot. so i dont know how i should schedule my time for work and car etc, plus im coming on promotion and will be changing job titles and hours for my first job.

2)I have no garage, i live in a town house, so i might have to work on it at my other house whch is 30 minutes away.

3) i dont have lift ill have to use jack stands.

i dont want to have to pay a shop when i can do it my self its just i dont have time, i have a shop though thats giving me a heck of a deal so im gon let you guys know what the price is and ask if you guys think if it worth it.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Well the timing is something you'd have to work out. Unless you have alternate transportation and you can spend a few hours a week working on it. Garages and lifts are nice, but in no way shape or form required.

The main problem I have with shops besides the usual outrageous prices is they just don't care about anyone elses car. If you're doing the work yourself then you're definitely going to put the time in to make it work properly. Someone working in a shop is just going to try to get it done as fast as possible so they can get the next customer in. Unless you're a personal friend of someone working at the shop or you're paying a lot of money I would not recommend letting a shop do something as complex as a motor swap.