Curious - Anyone here ever disassemble their Cargo Cover?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I'm thinking I might do something interesting with my cargo cover (or luggage, trunk, or "boot" cover, whatever you wanna call it), but it involves taking it apart. Anyone ever attempt to do this?

Just curious...

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Yes I have. It's not bad at all! From memory there is a built in spring coil, a metal key the goes into the coil, and the end caps act as a stopper for the key so the spring gets tension as you pull the cover out. A quick tip would be to pull the key so its barely touching the spring so you can wind it a few times without hitting the end cap to give it tension. (it'll make sense with you have it apart)

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
yhatzee89;1946097 said:
Are you thinking of having some new vinyl put in it?

That is a distinct possibility.

suprasick;1946110 said:
Yes I have. It's not bad at all! From memory there is a built in spring coil, a metal key the goes into the coil, and the end caps act as a stopper for the key so the spring gets tension as you pull the cover out. A quick tip would be to pull the key so its barely touching the spring so you can wind it a few times without hitting the end cap to give it tension. (it'll make sense with you have it apart)

Awesome, I think my plan will come to fruition. THANKS!!!!!!!

Any pictures you might have as a reference? I kinda know what you're talking about but not 100% sure since I don't have the assembly in front of me.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I wasn't talking so much about the color as much as the fact that a decal is gonna reflect a lot on your back window, kinda like when you have the cover open and you can see everything that's back there from your rear view mirror lol.
I wouldn't do the celica decal (Supra > Celica-Supra) 1 & 3 I think are the most appropriate for the car.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Ahh... gotcha. I don't think it will be too distracting so long as I keep the colors muted.

Now, imagine a full color vinyl with any design you can think up. That would be sweet.

Costly, but sweet.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
It would only be ricey if you went overboard with the design or colors. Just keep the logo linked to the car. Like maybe a subdued Supra stencil. If you get it done let us know