crushed turbo oil return line

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
So I was a little rough with fighting my stock turbo oil return line and it now has a kink in it. Its not completely kinked shut its about half of the stock diameter.

A new DM softline kit is in order soon however I will be dropping in my rebuilt engine tomorrow and plan to have it running shortly after. Therefore my question is can I use this stock line for a couple weeks without damaging the turbo or anything else? Its only the return so I'm thinking I should be good, but not sure if it could back up on me or something.

I would just wait for the new soft lines but I have a bunch of good help coming out tomorrow and want to take advantage and get this thing running. I'm not worried about changing the lines later with the turbo installed and motor in.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the oil doesn't get out through the return it will end up going out the exhaust.

I would just wait or find another line.

It's easier to mount it on the turbo and then install the turbo with line onto the engine.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd take the help and get the engine installed, but take the turbo off beforehand to remove the temptation of starting it with a questionable part installed.

Stock turbos aren't hard to install on-car at all (IMO). Pretty sure Emilio got it down to 45 minutes or so when they were chasing his oil burning problem. Only tricky part is making sure the crush washers stay on the oil feed!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Yeah that's what I was expecting to hear...basically its a no go on running the kinked line for a bit then ehh. Had to ask...was hoping to hear, nah can't hurt anything but I knew better.

I'll leave it off...not worried about putting it on on car. With the flexibility of that soft line kit that will be a nice bonus ; )

Thanks

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
At least it will be really easy to install with the soft line kit. Good luck with the first startup.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
hvyman;1955122 said:
It's easier to mount it on the turbo and then install the turbo with line onto the engine.

And don't tighten the bolt until everything is lined up and started. This principle applies to many things in automotive.