Crush bent or Mandrel bent??

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
Crushed bent cost only $75 at a muffler shop I found 15 mins from my house. They provide 3 inch piping and bend the pipes according to your will.

Mandrel bent, I dont need to say more... But its a price vs. efficiency issue here I (an maybe some of you guys) am dealing with. Let me know what you guys think or if you guys went through this situation.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Mandrel bent if you must. BUT, in my opinion don't even bother trying to have a custom exhaust made. The first exhaust I had made for my car was crush bent and it sucked, it was done by a "performance" shop. Even the cat back I have now has 2 crush bends and 2 mandrel bends and it sucks at flowing.
Unless you know the shop that is doing the exhaust just buy one from company that makes quality exhausts. In hind sight I would never have gone the custom route even though I had a "performance" shop do it, it still sucks.
The totals for my exhaust(s): 1st cat back, 350; Down pipe, 240; JBL elbow, 180; 2nd catback, 350; test pipe, 55. So just over 1k bucks when I could have bought a cooleeze or BIC dp, test pipe, and Cooleeze pipes for well under a G and the quality would be 10 times better than what I have now.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Mandrel all the way. The crush bent ones are crap. Thats what I got on my car now from the previous owner and when it ran, the flow seemed really restricted.
I have seen Cooleeze exhausts on ebay for a modest price. Just save yourself some time and get mandrel. Unless of course you just want some thing loud with no performance, but who doesnt want performance??
:icon_bigg

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
go with mandrel bend. you only need 2 elbows. the cost isn't really that much more if any. u can find the stuff online for cheap.

Example of this is when I did mine, the the total dollar amount for a 3" magnaflow muffler, bullit style resonator, 7' stick of 3" pipe and two 45 degree mandrel elbow and 3 3" flanges was only $120. now yes, that was wholesale pricing and no labor for install as the fab was done by me. All piping and bends were 16ga aluminized mild steel. The muffler and resonator are the expensive parts.

Point is, you should have no problem finding the pipe and elbow for under $50 shipped online

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
i got 3" crush bend from the turbo elbow back w/3"high flow cat for $270 cad at a muffler shop.
the difference is amazing compared to stock:evil2: :evil2:
for the money i cant complain one bit:icon_bigg

but:
when i do it again it will be mandrel.
need money for a new turbo though first.:biglaugh:

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
Definitely go for the mandrel bent if you can afford it... I got the crush bent and it's great... but the mandrel bent does make a noticeable difference in sound and a bit of performance... much smoother air flow. :icon_bigg

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Kinda overwelming opinion here.But it's the best way to go. Just save your cash and get the proper one. It's one of the first hop ups needed for better performance,and if you get the wrong one starting off,every other add-on you install will be restricted by this. Don't cheap-out now,do it right!!

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
Yeah. You guys are right.... What was I thinking??? well, its gonna be mandrel for me. I used to have a dsm with crushed and it was too bad. I just never bought a mandrel bent cat back for it to compare it (same said for the 3 turbo supra's I had) Im looking at the RS*R. what do you guys think? anyone got one on here?

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
tubbie said:
I have an HKS sport exhaust from a 91 supra if you want. $400 picked up. :bigthumb:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haha. Funny. Its not yours yet.... im still waiting on the check to clear :p