crazy coolant temp reading and no power down low...

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
YourEnemy;1516829 said:
Have you tried calibrating your TPS?

How does your power level feel under boost? normally if your coilpacks are weak/bad you will start to get a hickup or miss under boost.

As far as the temp gauge goes, trace the wire, if it is cut or exposed anywhere and hits ground it will cause the gauge to go to red. If you have a few extra bucks I would replace the sensor just to rule that out, they're only 12.99 IIRC.

Its better under boost but still powerloss and it seems like if I give it to much it could be blowing the spark out? I changed the coilpack and no difference but it could be cps or ignitor chip? thanks Il look into the tps that would make sense too i just would have figured it would throw something to do with tps for a code

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jdub;1516352 said:
I would check your timing, assuming there are no codes. I would also take an IR temp gun and check for cold spots on the radiator that would indicate clogged coolant channels. Check the fan clutch as well.

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
Thats what I was thinking, cps probably bit the bullet,im gonna throw a spare on it and retime it. as far as heatgunning the radiator its a brand new aluminum radiator and its not clogged. the coolant temp thing was a one off thing nothing to do with the hesitation and Im gonna replace that too shortly.

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
Okay so i was looking at a few things and my plugs are kinda lean... not really bad but it doesnt add up cuz shouldnt I be running rich with missing and hesitation... I would think that I should be rich if theres poor spark.. code 21 is o2 signal and doesnt that encompass anthing that messes with afrs? in my book it lists everthing but the kitchen sink under that code, fuel pressure, injectors, cps, plugs, wires, etc. not very helpful. all i know Is that I dont really wanna just try different things and drive it to test if its on the lean side of things... if it was running rich Id just throw stuff at it till i figured it out.
confused.

thanks,
Josh

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
So I cleared the codes and changed the cps with a spare and retimed it and also checked the tq on the headstuds. none of that helped but it threw 24 "air intake temp sensor" looked in my repair manual and couldnt find the location of the ait sensor... is it only on the ge or on the turbo motor too.... only reference I found was a diagram with the ge maf that had an air intake temp sensor.....

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
WillWorkFoBoost;1516549 said:
Look, all I was saying is I dont have a bhg, my car was not really overheating im sure of that so I guess thats probably a finicky coolant temp sensor, because I checked and it wasnt any hotter than usual, my rad isnt clogged, its an aluminum one and its new, Its safe to say that theyre separate instances. my code reader does the same thing it causes your cel to blink via plugging it into the diagnostics port and you count the blinks and look in the book. as I said It has worked fine in the past. as for getting Defensive, Its hard not to with the way people jump down your throats.I guess its just swap coilpacks, cps, tps maybe? I guess I shouldnt have posted and the only reason I did so is because of the coolant guage but It did that once and it was very cold and upon driving the car the next day it never happened again. so sorry the actual problem is just the hesitation at low throttle/rpm.
3173.jpg

^^^?
Because that's not a scanner. The tool can be replaced by a paper clip, and the book by your repair manual and internet.

Edit:
mecevans;1520356 said:
yes its in the afm
I've never seen the IAT sensor before, so I looked for it and came across this:
bgreiger said:
Intake air temp sensor for the metering system is built into the airflow meter itself. Non removable part. If there's a problem, the whole electronics box of the AFM needs replacement.

Bob
(http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52067)

Last edited: