Crank pulley question

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Hello everyone, im doing the headgasket swap and was wondering do i have to remove the crankshaft pulley to change the headgasket? It says in the tsrm online to do so but if i could aviod that headache i would be extremely happy. The timing belt is a gates and is in very nice condition so there is no reasong for me to get rid of it. And if i do have to remove it any tips on how to do so without the use of an impact gun seeing as im way to poor to afford one seeing as i just got a house. If you could post pics of how you did so that would be greatly appreciated, because im a visual learner big time. Hope to get it done for texas supra nationals this year, thanks for any help or input.:icon_bigg

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
nope.

So long as you tighten the belt tensioner correctly and spin the motor over a few times by hand to assure everything lines up after a few complete cycles.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
supramk3speed;1345174 said:
Hello everyone, im doing the headgasket swap and was wondering do i have to remove the crankshaft pulley to change the headgasket? It says in the tsrm online to do so but if i could aviod that headache i would be extremely happy. The timing belt is a gates and is in very nice condition so there is no reasong for me to get rid of it. And if i do have to remove it any tips on how to do so without the use of an impact gun seeing as im way to poor to afford one seeing as i just got a house. If you could post pics of how you did so that would be greatly appreciated, because im a visual learner big time. Hope to get it done for texas supra nationals this year, thanks for any help or input.:icon_bigg

I just did my BHG...impact did not do a thing. My cuzzin a honda guy uses a huge sledge hammer and knocked it right off! 2-3 whacks and it loosened up real quick. I suggest you try it before going out and buy impact tools. Real cheap, real quick and way better than Impact.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
I know that you're trying to keep the timing belt on, but if for any reason you choose to remove it, make sure you mark it for rotation. You don't want to put it on backwards.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Thanks for all the tips, yeah i heard it was quite a chore to remove thats why im willing to do whatever it takes to skip it! I would love to try it but the weather here is so hot and humid you don't want to wrench for no more than an hour. In fact the first bolt you touch your already sweating and by the time your done you are drenched in sweat! I miss washington for that sole reason. Oh, and i have everything off just waiting for some cash to role in, ANOTHER QUESTION i have is what do you all think i should sand the deck surface of the block with? Like what grit of sandpaper, anything i need to coat it with while i sand it? Any help on this would be appreciated. I have an electric sander by the way, thanks and hope to see some answers.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Don't have the internet at my house thats why im so late to type this but i did some research lately and found out DON'T sand the block's surface to gasket because its too hard to make it flush and even. DO use a gasket scraper to get the gunk off. If you haven't messed with a headgasket before i suggest to anyone reading this to try it yourself but do tons of research and take your time the experience learned is well worth the effort. Just don't be a moron and rush it without knowledge of whats what!

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
^^ He's talking about the timing belt. Not the pulley. Mark the timing belt for rotation. You don't want to put it on the wrong way. If you are going to use "sandpaper" on the block deck, you have to be extremely careful about particles falling into the various openings. I think I'd talk to the knowledgeable builders on here of the pitfalls of that procedure... gl.

oops, got beaten to it.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Regarding the harmonic damper removal. If you decide to remove the damper to replace the oil seals (which I would suggest, now is the time), I've always been able to easy remove the bolt with an impact wrench if you can borrow one. With the radiator removed, there is sufficient clearance for the impact wrench. I've also never needed a puller, they always seems to slide right off with a little bit of persuasion.

Agreed on the recommendation to not use sandpaper on the block. No matter what you do, the potential for the highly abrasive material from the sandpaper to enter the oil passages or accumulate on the cylinder walls is too great. You'll also remove more material from the perimeter of the surface than the center region. Just use a good gasket scraper and strong solvents.