CPS wiring

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
this pic helps out alot im missing this page.

so NE is the trigger which causes the injectors to pulse and the coils to spark, g2 and g- would be grounded and G1 would be the sync

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Your pics are always helpful. You know, it'd be nice if posters spill what they're trying to do instead of simply asking questions. Would save a flurry of PMs. I think he's got it figured out now.

Speaking of pix somewhere I have photos of a CPS clamped in my lathe with my DSO connected to it. Both Gs and NE should be around 30 volts p/p at 2000 rpm. Thats with the middle front face of each pole piece measuring in at about .8 kilogauss which from what I've seen is typical for a CPS. Since I'm guessing you don't own a teslameter you'll just have to take my word on that though ;)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I've had reason recently to figure out which coil is G1 and G2. Based on the TEWD and some photos I have of my own CPS, I believe the table below to be correct, which is then leads me to identify G1 and G2 opposite from what's in the TSRM page ISMS posted above.

Can anyone confirm that G1 as posted above is connected to a green wire inside the CPS and then to the external Red wire at harness side at the connector, and therefore is opposite from the TSRM figure?

This leads me to the real question I want to know, which is does G1 mark TDC cylinder #1 (G2 then marking TDC cyl 6). From the ECU code I believe this to be true.

Yes, if I wasn't so lazy and got out my scope I could figure this out the hard way in the garage....

Harness CPS
===================
G1 RED GRN
G2 YEL YEL
NE BLU RED
E1 BLK WHT

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
As an aside, the NE signal triggers an interrupt in the ECU that sets the fuel and ignition events in the future by loading 4 timers, 3 for the injectors and one for IGt. G1 and G2 sync a variable that tracks the crank angle in 30 degree steps.

It would seem that only one of G1 and G2 is sufficient, although it would on average take twice as long to sync on cranking.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Depends on which pickup you're calling G1 Jon. The book has several mistakes. My TCCS manuals show G2 as the trigger for #1 and G1 as the trigger for #6 although what actually happens is IGt goes low on the next NE following a G. I'll be glad to scan and send you the complete timing diagram if you'd like.

Edit: Now that I've read the post again yes, the book has them backwards, G1 is green and yes, the engine will run if either is missing....