CPS Repair

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
I have time finally to re-wire the CPS, until the wife decides to buy me the RockAuto one, the birthday is this month!

First, just looking for confirmation of the lobe and setting everything at 0. crank pully will be at 0, cam lines at 12 and the lobe should be visible through the oil cap correct(2 o'clock ish)? I just like the reassurance, A few years back I lost a pair of pants due to it being 180 out. After the repair I then can adjust the advance etc.

Any heads up with rewire on the CPS? I solder daily at work, and fixing plugs and all that jazz isn't what I'm worried about. Just a prep from other who have done it, what to watch for/ what can be touchy, what not to accidentally poke. little things that can be over looked. I've thoroughly checked out numerous prints and the CPS itself just to visualize the plan ahead.

I have wire from work that can take 500c and it's over the top conducive. Seems ridiculous, but we all know we want the best for our rides.

Car has been running fine after messing with the CPS wires few weeks back when it was randomly not starting. I'm excited to get my hands dirty again.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to some info :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
cinderMK3;2074849 said:
I have time finally to re-wire the CPS, until the wife decides to buy me the RockAuto one, the birthday is this month!

First, just looking for confirmation of the lobe and setting everything at 0. crank pully will be at 0, cam lines at 12 and the lobe should be visible through the oil cap correct(2 o'clock ish)?

If the crank is at zero and you have the upper timing cover off, you don't need to open the oil fill hole. It is either/or. Opening the oil fill is easier.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Here's a crude video I did a while back on timing a 7M. This will be very relevant when you re-install the CPS.

I have good luck with it these days, but before I'd done it a dozen times or so I kept having a hard time getting it installed on the right tooth. If you're a tooth off with the CPS you'll have a hard time even seeing where the notch is on the crank pulley to try to set timing. The car may not start as well. It can be a pain, but it's really not too complex a task. Be careful installing the CPS to keep it from twisting on you and you should be fine.

Good luck!

[video=youtube;kHdHq8cUQNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHdHq8cUQNI&index=18&list=PLf_DQI0eEdgCLfh3gKI6Dksm3QwV0pY-9[/video]

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
good deal, I appreciate all the info! How about inside the CPS with the 4 connections, are the contact points where the wire connects soldered on, or are they just between a squeeze clamp?

cps view.png

I'll try to take a bunch of pics of this and put them up when I finish!

Last edited:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
ok This will be kinda slow going. I'll update as I go and post more pics. here is the prep (seems to have misplaced my soldering station.) I'll find it soon XD. This is my first try at a repair gallery so bare with me!

motor.jpg

soo here is the beauty time to get busy.

table.jpg

here are the tid bits. The high temp silver wire, heat shrink, and pins, crimps, etc.
not sure if I'm going to swap the plug for the twist lock 4 pin you see here. I should be able to salvage the OEM I want to might have to delay a few days finding matching pins to solder. we shall see.

IMAG0349.jpg

ooooh fancy.

You're prolly thinking WHAT ITS ALL RED WIRE!!! that's silly to replace color coded wire with all the same!!!!
Fret not, those colorful straws in the second pic are high temp shrinks to cover the red with corresponding wire! hooray! :)

ok, got some stuff today I might start the pull later tonight. gotta help my brother early tomorrow morning, busy busy but i'll keep updates!

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Nick M;2074908 said:
Yep. Don't rub your dick beaters on the exposed wire.
MY wife doesn't help with the electrical :naughty:

iron.jpg

sooo hours later I found it. I'll pull the CPS tmrw I suppose

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
wow glad I'm doing this. not only for the sake of the wires are garbage. previous tried to glue this shit together after it had melted and broke once it seems. Driftmotion gonna get an order for a new cap. might start on the wires tomorrow. gotta hang some stuff in kids room. I'll grab some feeler gauge for the gap of the rotor Monday.
Snapchat-1452403864242727046.jpg

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...Referer+www.google.com+URL+/en/catalog/toyota

I should be able to salvage the pins and plugs. it will be tedious but that's ok. The rubber form plug the the CPS itself will be little more tricky. It seems form fitted to the wire. might take an exact o knife and split in 2 pieces if it wont free up to slide after pin removal.
IMAG0361.jpg

added this,
separated the mold, via exact o knife worked well. the good news is the wire under the OEM insulation is in good condition. that leaves a fair amount to tie into.

IMAG0362.jpg

Last edited:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
65.jpg

A ruff idea of how it will look. The color coincide with what color will go to what pin. after the rubber boot is applied i will again color them up to the plug. all exposed after the boot will be covered will proper color. the gaps will be set tomorrow, I need to grab the feeler gauges.

under each shrink is the connection per wire each has individual shrink even under that as well.
everything except the cap made of dust seems to be going well :D

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
IMAG0372.jpg

pins and plug next. I'll be covering all those with a blue shrink that matches the rest of the engine.

after pin and plug in a holding pattern until I gap, epoxy the coils like suprarx7nut said, and will have to wait for the cap to be delivered before install.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
booo, should have bought the billet aluminum cover from Arizona Performance.

good luck getting it running, remember that when you install the CPS, it will usually turn one tooth when it engages with the cam

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Enraged;2075444 said:
booo, should have bought the billet aluminum cover from Arizona Performance.

good luck getting it running, remember that when you install the CPS, it will usually turn one tooth when it engages with the cam

Those are to shiny! XD

But yes sir about the notch turn upon install, I appreciate the info :)

the boy has baseball today and I have to work concessions, so I may or may not pop it in today n such.