Couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
im in the process of putting a JDM 7m-gte from what i believe is a 90-92 into my 87 turbo supra. since the wiring harness was for a left had drive car and a later model supra i had to switch over my old wiring harness(which sucks cause the one that came with my engine was flawless). so i switch over my old one and my old thermo housing(cause the sensors are different)

is there any other parts in going to have to switch over that are different?

is the supra wiring harness able to be soldered? is it not tin wire?

will my old egr just screw into my new engine(which has no egr)

is there a part number on a throttle cable that will work for the jdm throtle body? im just using my old linkage and throttle body for now but i would like to eventually use the other one, just looks cleaner and is more simple.

also, that pipe that hooks up to the lower heater hose, well since the one with the engine is for a RHD, the hole is on the wrong side. i didnt notice till the engine was in and i dont wanna have to pull it out again, will it hurt anything to just run heater hose all the way to the other side?

TIA

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You should have to switch over all sensors on the car because iirc they plug up differently on the older wire harness than on the new ones.

Yes! Solder away, don't forget the shrink wrap. As far as it being tin, IDK about that one...

If you have all the old hardware for the egr on the old engine it should work. Not sure if the hoses are different on a JDM or not though...

Next question... IDK

Running heater hose to the other side should be no prob. Just make sure it's away from any high heat sources...

Hope that helps ;).

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
thanks for the quick reply! it does help alot. i was told that you cannot solder tin wire, which is why i asked if it was.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
againstdawall06 said:
is there any other parts in going to have to switch over that are different?

The oil pressure sensor...the JDM one is incompatable and can fry your gauge.

againstdawall06 said:
is the supra wiring harness able to be soldered? is it not tin wire?

Yes, and no it is not tin.

againstdawall06 said:
will my old egr just screw into my new engine(which has no egr)

Yes. Make sure the EGR cooler is on the back of the head and the holes are not blocked. You want to change the gasket for the cooler as well...a leak here is difficult to fix once the motor is in.

againstdawall06 said:
is there a part number on a throttle cable that will work for the jdm throtle body? im just using my old linkage and throttle body for now but i would like to eventually use the other one, just looks cleaner and is more simple.

Shaeff used a JDM throttle body and a NA cable. The JDM TB does not have the EGR VSV vac port on top.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111&highlight=throttle

againstdawall06 said:
also, that pipe that hooks up to the lower heater hose, well since the one with the engine is for a RHD, the hole is on the wrong side. i didnt notice till the engine was in and i dont wanna have to pull it out again, will it hurt anything to just run heater hose all the way to the other side?

Most of the block water lines have ports on both sides...on USDM ones the port on the passenger side is blocked with a rubber plug...opposite for the JDM ones. If yours doesn't have the drivers side port, you want to consider swapping the hard lines out.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
jdub said:
The oil pressure sensor...the JDM one is incompatable and can fry your gauge.

Yes, and no it is not tin.

Yes. Make sure the EGR cooler is on the back of the head and the holes are not blocked. You want to change the gasket for the cooler as well...a leak here is difficult to fix once the motor is in.

Shaeff used a JDM throttle body and a NA cable. The JDM TB does not have the EGR VSV vac port on top.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111&highlight=throttle

Most of the block water lines have ports on both sides...on USDM ones the port on the passenger side is blocked with a rubber plug...opposite for the JDM ones. If yours doesn't have the drivers side port, you want to consider swapping the hard lines out.

my engine is already in, and i reallly dont want to have to pull it again. it took about 10 hours of messing with it to get it in there. were is the oil pressure sending unit? does it connect to the wiring harness or is it connected some other way?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The oil pressure sensor is on the passenger side of the motor. In this pic, it's the brass colored, domed shaped unit between the oil filter housing and the water pump housing. The connector is on the main harness...it has a gray cap that covers the top of the sensor.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
thanks for the help! hopefully i can get to that without having to much trouble. is it really bad for it to not be plugged in other then not having a stock oil pressure gauge? i got everything soldered up and connected FINALLY. but now i have no power to anything, not the lights or seats or anything. i tested the battery with are little tester and it check out fine. i even put a charger on it with the battery hooked up to see, but nothing. any ideas on what this could be? i believe i have all the grounds hooked up, but im not positive yet. i wont have time to work on it till sunday so i want a good list of things to look at then. THANKS!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Wow, Jdub's exhaust mani is so purty...:biglaugh:

Now I know what mine's gonna look like after I send it to you ;).

You ceramic coat the oil pan too?

Ninja Edit:: I got something you need that's just begging to be on that engine, billet cps cover ;).

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
starscream5000 said:
Wow, Jdub's exhaust mani is so purty...:biglaugh:

Now I know what mine's gonna look like after I send it to you ;).

Thank you! Yeah...and it really cut the radiated heat too!

starscream5000 said:
You ceramic coat the oil pan too?

Yep!

starscream5000 said:
Ninja Edit:: I got something you need that's just begging to be on that engine, billet cps cover ;).

Got one :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.