Couple Questions for Boost Leak + White Smoke

Beefierspade

Oct 5, 2012
NH
So I just took my 88T out last weekend and it ran fine until boost. It's completely stock engine. White smoke occurs during first start up and lightens during drive, car sat for about 2 months as I did work underneath (changed LSD (old one shot), new vacuum lines, master/slave cylinders) and car sat for who knows how long from previous owner. So white smoke may just be condensation? Was told the engine had a new head gasket and properly torqued down. During a short drive it ran fine up until 3300 RPM then boost kicked in for literally half a second until the car bogged down. After the car bogged down and the RPM dropped the car seemed to sputter and want to stall. (Would stall unless I feathered pedal, no power steering mid drive is a scary feeling!) I assumed this was a boost leak and pulled a 34 code after. I pulled the upper stock IC piping and saw no cracks or rips in the rubber couplings, no oil when rubbing the inside of the piping; it was dirty of course though.

However, the accordion hose was ripped (pic) and will be replaced. But I would think that it wouldn't be the major cause for the bogging down symptoms.
accordian.JPG

I also inspected the turbo and felt no shaft play from what I could tell, again no oil on the blades. But I took a quick picture to view inside and noticed a small chip missing? Not sure what to think of it, maybe turbos shot? It still spins smooth and freely.
turbo.JPG

Also I did not get a chance to check the lower IC piping as my cars not raised, but will get to that soon hopefully. Just looking for insight on what you guys think, I'm pretty new to Supras and mechanical work all together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side question, what fluid tubing is this? Or that matter size and length if not named. It is two (maybe three off memory?) valves behind the 3000 pipe. Not leaking onto valve covers but seems to be worn and top of it is wet with oil. Might as well change while I have the IC piping out of the way.
IMG_2501.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Check the hoses from turbo outlet to IC. They get the most abuse from the hot air coming out of the compressor. The hose you refer to in the side question is the PCV system. No fluids in there, jut engine blowby.