Couple cam questions...before I install

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Hey I am about to install my machined 2J cams in my 1J. Ran across a couple areas.

1) I thought I remembered which cam is which...unfortunately that fell apart LOL...what is the best way to tell the intake from the exhaust cam?

2) In the TSRM (2J) during install it speaks of installing the cams, then loosening certain caps and turning 90 and 120 degrees...should I be doing this? I assume yes right?

3)Bought 2J cam seals assuming they were interchangeable. I understand they are not..correct? Just bought a set of 1J seals anyways...

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
check out the sticky i made.

well you answered your own question 3, but i believe i used the 2jz ones.

as far as turning them 90 then 120 i didnt do that. the only time i remember turning it was obviously to check clearance and then turning the whole motor via crank bolt to make sure i didnt lose tention on the timing belt.

good luck

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
1. as stated the intake cams has tabs on it for the cam sensors

2. no friggin clue

3. the 2j seals would not work, completely different size OD and ID. the easy to come by seals that will work are the cam seals from a 95 camry v6

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
Bigzavs;981698 said:
1. as stated the intake cams has tabs on it for the cam sensors

2. no friggin clue

3. the 2j seals would not work, completely different size OD and ID. the easy to come by seals that will work are the cam seals from a 95 camry v6

Thanks guys for the help. I wish I would have looked at that sticky before I bought the cams...but o Well

BigZavs - I gotta get up with you about the STinger EMS...i just bought one.