couple 1jz questions

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i am looking at a 1jz right now and i had a couple questions. kinda noob becaseu i have only ever had the 7m.

how much does the engine weigh??? what is the block made of?? i here the turbos will blow. what is a good replacement set up for the tt? go single or keep it tt?? where is a good place to buy aftermarket stuff for the 1jz?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
from what i've read, the turbo's only blow if you OVER boost them because of their coating and material they are sensitive to high boost. Not sure what the block weights or what its made of but i believe it is lighter then the 7M. Most people go Single turbo if they blow their turbo's or just want to do it before installing just the twins. There are many places you can look. 1 here SF, and all the vendors on both sites. Pretty nice.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
The turbos will blow eventually. I have had mine for a year now, a daily driver, and it has held up very well. It boosts great and no issues so far. Other guys I know have blown their turbos within months of owning the car...so its hard to tell. But eventually, it will give up and start smoking.
A good upgrade is to go single. Keeps the cost down and you can buy/setup a kit for about $1500 complete.
The engine bay is alot cleaner and easier to work in with a single turbo.You can definitely put a lot of power out to depending on the turbo setup.
Driftmotion sells some after market parts. I have never done any business with them personally, but I recommend them as they are here in the community and always help with questions and so forth.

Other vendors here sell the 1jz products as well.