coolent loss

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
i have to refill my radiator after a drive with my car. its losing coolent i cant figure out from where. i thought it was the head gasket but my oil is normal its not mixing it with the oil.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
if you dont find coolant dripping out onto the ground, then it is likely a blown headgasket and you are burning the coolant you are losing. do you ever see white smoke coming out of your exhaust pipe?

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
I had the same issue, check my posts haha kept telling myself it's not a BHG it's something else.....well eventually she did blow up. Change it now before it actually does blow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Why go instantly to an hg issue? Check your lines first. Also check for residue from coolant on the block and surrounding areas. Because if it is leaking somewhere, where it will burn off before it hits the ground, you'd never know you had a bad coolant line and just assume its an hg.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
no way it can be a bhg it smokes only when it starts blue smoke because of the valve seals but it clears up once you drive it

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Oh dear god. Its easy for coolant to not hit the ground. There are lots of hot things in the engine bay... Like a turbo for instance. :nono:

I've said it a thousand other times and I'll say it again, just because its loosing coolant doesnt mean its a blown head gasket. If you want to rule out a BHG, then do the tests to confirm it is, or isn't, a BHG.... :aigo:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Backlash2032;1863909 said:
Oh dear god. Its easy for coolant to not hit the ground. There are lots of hot things in the engine bay... Like a turbo for instance. :nono:

I've said it a thousand other times and I'll say it again, just because its loosing coolant doesnt mean its a blown head gasket. If you want to rule out a BHG, then do the tests to confirm it is, or isn't, a BHG.... :aigo:

This. It's like saying that any sort of engine noise means you've got rod knock and have to rebuild, just kind of ridiculous until you have some evidence.

Check all the coolant hoses, especially the ones around the exhaust manifold/turbo and the ones at the back of the head off the union. Look for any evidence of moisture and try and follow it back to the source.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
dunno... if you have to refill the radiator every time you drive the car, that is a pretty severe coolant leak. you'd think you'd either find coolant on the ground or you would see steam coming up from under the hood. or you'd see it coming out the tailpipe. :p

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've seen some pretty weird oil leaks where it leaks into a sort of pocket in the frame rail and then only leaks out when there's airflow past the pocket. I think that's the venturi effect. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then again... I don't think there's really a way for that to happen with the a70 chassis lol

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk