Coolent loss and overheating problems

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
Im having weird problems with my car but i cant figure out whats the problem. My car looses coolent from somewhere and i cant figure it out it also get prettyy hotter then normal temp i have clean exhaust and my oil isnt milky but the oil cap is pretty milky. and i dont see any coolent being dripped on the floor. Could this be the beginning of a BHG? Or cracked/warped head? Also once its warm and shut off when you fire it up she starts really rough. With something that sounds like a misfire then clears out a little. I need some expert advice this car is giving me a major headache

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If your valve covers leak, that can be the cause of the milky cap if there isn't oil on the dipstick or elsewhere. A pressure test will confirm if you have a cooling system issue including a leak. Don't pressurize it when hot.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Kevin0393;1871191 said:
Im having weird problems with my car but i cant figure out whats the problem. My car looses coolent from somewhere and i cant figure it out it also get prettyy hotter then normal temp i have clean exhaust and my oil isnt milky but the oil cap is pretty milky. and i dont see any coolent being dripped on the floor. Could this be the beginning of a BHG? Or cracked/warped head? Also once its warm and shut off when you fire it up she starts really rough. With something that sounds like a misfire then clears out a little. I need some expert advice this car is giving me a major headache

hmm with you saying your loosing coolant, milky oil cap and mis fire when 1st started
my guess would be BHG
my thoughts are when car is shut off coolant leaks off into a cylinder, then when you start it that cylinder doesnt fire til coolant is pushed out

i would let it run for a while, shut off and leave sit for over night(or a few hours)
next day remove spark plugs and looks inside cylinders to check for coolant

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
It's the start of a BHG, for sure. I've blown two and neither one smoked until they were REALLY blown. Identical symptoms as yours to start and progressively got worse until one hydro locked and the other started blowing steam. No doubt about it -- BHG.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Block test is a cheap way to test for BHG, but it's unfortunately likely. I don't agree with jumping to that as an immediate conclusion, but since the 7M is pretty solid otherwise, it's one of the common issues with the engine.

Any coolant loss will cause high temps, and mayo in the oil cap can happen from just not letting the car warm up fully while driving. There are a lot of places where you can lose coolant without showing much. If, for example, it drips anywhere near the hot side of the engine, it can easily evaporate before leaving puddles, so it seems like mystery loss.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Coolant pressure test....

Also if you lose enough coolant your engine will overheat... Either because you have a leak or a bhg which also technically is a leak.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
Im gonna pressure test the cylinders and update you guys. Thanks for the help i got my headgasket rdy if thats the case