Coolant question

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
I've done a search, but nothing came up. Maybe i searched incorect, but anyway, here's my question.
First of all, the car is completely stock, no mods what so ever. The problem is irregular coolant loss through the overflow tank. Tipicaly it's not much. I can see it on the intercooler. Sometimes, it's a lot more, like a big puddle under the car. I guess thats because sometimes i pour to much coolant and the system just throws it out till the needed level is left. When the coolant loss occurs, the lover rad hose is cold. Sometimes the heater will not blow hot air for short amounts of time.The car is not overheating and running without any problems. I've replaced the rad cap with a new original one. Nothing changed. Changed the t-stat(also original) a while ago and it's the same story. Is it possible, that the new cap or the t-stat were bad to begin with? Or do i need to look at some other options?

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'd look at the cap first, maybe it's bad. If it still persists, I'd take a close look for a possible leak in the system (it doesn't take much to get some air in there). If that looks good, I'd also burp the cooling system just in case you have some air trapped in there.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
What kind of coolant are you using? Toyota red is what you should run. Also check for cracks along the rad and make sure all your hoses are clamped on tight, especially the hose that runs from the rad to resovoir. When you start the car after not driving it for a while, do you heat a waterfall sound behind the dash? That would mean you have air in your system.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
or maybe your rad is just broken and didnt keep pressure. thats actually what happened to mine. the radiator had leaks in it, and all the hot coolant went to the resovoir tank and the excess squirted onto my intercooler

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Not getting hot air sometimes usually means that there isn't any coolant getting to your core. But it may seem as there's air in your system which restricts and alters the flow of coolant. After all, air isn't great at transferring heat.