coolant pipe on back of throttle body

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
after a leak into the plug wells (combined with an oil leak into the wells aswell) i stripped the top of the engine off to clean it all out and fit new gaskets etc. however the throttle body coolant pipe must have been leaking for a good while as the pipe spigot (if thats the correct word) is all rusty. ive cleaned it up as best i can, however the pipe is all crusty inside and most likely knackered. ive tried to fit it back on but it spins quite easily on the spigot.

Ive had a feel about but cant quite squeeze my arm down there. (well maybe if i force it i might haha) has anyone got a pic of where this pipe goes to? and can i use ordinary coolant pipe for a replacement or has this pipe got factory induced bends in it?

cheers all

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
That coolant line is there for a reason. Given where you live you may want to look into it. The purpose is to prevent excessive condensation or (worse yet) ice from forming in the TB and on the throttle plate. It doesn't have to be cold enough to snow outside for ice to form in the TB. The speed at which the air moves is sufficient to cause ice to form at temperatures a bit above freezing.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1119933 said:
That coolant line is there for a reason. Given where you live you may want to look into it. The purpose is to prevent excessive condensation or (worse yet) ice from forming in the TB and on the throttle plate. It doesn't have to be cold enough to snow outside for ice to form in the TB. The speed at which the air moves is sufficient to cause ice to form at temperatures a bit above freezing.
Yeah I know, when I bypassed it I lived in Florida, not too much of a chance of it icing up there :)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I bypassed mine largely due to not knowing better... I was constantly pulling the intake off at that point and it was quite simply "in my way". :icon_razz

Personally, I would like to add a temperature regulated control valve/bypass. Something that on cold days would open and allow the coolant through but on hot days or when the car was off it would close.

On all actuality, the difference in temp is nothing you'd probably ever notice either. I've read that in older carburated engines the used stove pipes and sometimes a coolant line to warm things up so the fuel would vaporize a little better too... not so much a factor with modern injection systems.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I removed those lines about three years ago (maybe two?).

I have had no issues what so ever driving in the winter, and it gets very well below freezing, even into the negative here sometimes.

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Is this any good ?, I just completed a BHG repair over the weekend, guess what; the only problem I had when I started her up was this bloody pipe leaking. The only way I could get at it was to remove the throttle body and upper inlet manifold. I used some Loctite silicon sealant and a new clip, seems ok now fingers crossed. I don’t think the pipe spigot (or pipe union as Toyota call them) is a replacement part; it doesn’t show up as a part in the EPC. However if it does unscrew you should be able to find a similar fitting from an airline/pneumatic catalogue. I got the picture from Google, do a search for Throttle Body Supra MKIII search by clicking images you may find some more info. What happened to our summer?
p1120584_1.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CRE;1119933 said:
The speed at which the air moves is sufficient to cause ice to form at temperatures a bit above freezing.

It actually depends on OAT, humidity and dew point. It's the pressure drop across the TB that causes a temp drop, resulting ice to form. It's relatively common on carburetor piston engine aircraft ;)

Here's a chart when it's most likely to happen:

carbicingfromcaassl14.gif

AJ'S 88NA;1120076 said:
Yeah I know, when I bypassed it I lived in Florida, not too much of a chance of it icing up there

Living in FL is not going to help you...note at 20 deg C, +10 deg C dew point and 60% relative humidity puts you in the moderate icing area.
And living in the UK is even worse...what you have to pay attention to is how humid it is ;)

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
bill uk, i think thats a turbo intake. it certainly looks a bit different to mine. but anyways i mite well try cutting the pipe back a bit to see what happens. if not ill have another go to see if i can replace it

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I saw some coolant in my throttle body the other day, could there be a leak in this passage somewhere, or could it be a crack in the throttle body. My car runs pretty rich, or smells like it and I get pretty poor gas mileage. Not the worst but not good, I think it caused my o2 to die. I want to fix this problem before I replace it. This happen to anyone else or anyone have any other ideas where to look? Thanks.