Coolant lines under Intake Manifold?

MK3_CT

Apr 4, 2013
Lacey, WA
So went to Game Stop today and my temp sensor indicated that I was overheating. Pop the hood, it's steaming out from under the intake manifold. Had to stop twice on the way home (5 miles) to fill the radiator back up. I've been looking around for where the hell the lines are but can't find them, online or on my car. The threads that I've seen say that there are "several" lines.... So my question is where are the lines at (if I could get a picture / diagram) and some advice on how to replace it? I do have an 89 supra with a 7MGTE. Thanks guys!

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
While you are fixing that, you can bypass them so that anything in the future won't involve dealing with coolant lines in the throttle body or ISC valve. Makes future repairs and removals of either TB or ISC much easier and reducing the lines down to one from the 4 that are in there now.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Trent;1947897 said:
While you are fixing that, you can bypass them so that anything in the future won't involve dealing with coolant lines in the throttle body or ISC valve. Makes future repairs and removals of either TB or ISC much easier and reducing the lines down to one from the 4 that are in there now.

Can you elaborate a little on how to bypass the coolant lines in the throttle body or is valve?

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
3p141592654;1947915 said:
Also great for icing up the ISC valve. Before you start... ask yourself why it is there in the first place.

If you live in a cold climate and want to start the car when it is freezing outside, then sure it could. I had bypassed this on my last ca and daily drove it for almost 3 years without issue. I have it done on my current car with no issues either.

I just did it to eliminate multiple clamps and lines that can be old, dry rotted, and are more places to have potential incidents occur as the OP is having now. Minimizing coolant lines and vaccuum lines within reason is something I have always done w/ my Supras and haven't had a single issue with that. Just my opinion and what has worked for me.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It has nothing to do with cold starts. Icing occurs when there is humid air, and the pressure drop across the ISC valve causes the water vapor to freeze. Not everyone lives where you live, so blanket suggestions to remove stuff is inviting trouble.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
3p141592654;1947929 said:
It has nothing to do with cold starts. Icing occurs when there is humid air, and the pressure drop across the ISC valve causes the water vapor to freeze. Not everyone lives where you live, so blanket suggestions to remove stuff is inviting trouble.

I'm not making a blanket suggestion. I'm stating what worked for me and it's something that the OP should look into to possibly prevent further complications and issues down the line. When I worked for PHR and MVP, we did this on countless MK3, MK4 and SC300 builds across the world and all worked fine as well. My experience and opinion is that it is something that you can do to reduce possible issues in the future. No trouble being invited here at all.

Best of luck MK3_CT I hope you get it figured out and apologize for getting the thread off topic. There are a number of lines under both the throttle body and ISC valve and it could of course be any one of those. Start removing those items and you will figure out which line is leaking pretty quickly I'm sure.

MK3_CT

Apr 4, 2013
Lacey, WA
Thanks guys. The first post on here was exactly what I needed. I've never seen coolant lines under the Intake manifold like that. Anyways, Somehow the line blew out / cracked. I thought I blew a head gasket but was shooting out of the side! Thanks though

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Trent;1947926 said:
While you are fixing that, you can bypass them so that anything in the future won't involve dealing with coolant lines in the throttle body or ISC valve.

That is a blanket suggestion. I guess Toyota just likes to add cost to their product for no reason. And your explanation about cold starts indicates you had no clue what its purpose was anyway.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ This. OEM hoses are good for at least 100k miles. I'll never understand why people take stuff off the car rather than maintain it properly. Heck, in my case I added hoses to the area in question. Never had a problem. If you want to worry about something worry about the little cap on the pax side of the engine.

3p141592654;1947929 said:
... Icing occurs when there is humid air, and the pressure drop across the ISC valve causes the water vapor to freeze. ...

Fair nuff with the ISCV but the TB isn't a carb. No venturi, no venturi effect. TB is heated to aid in vaporization although icing is still a slight possibility.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Oui monsieur. Perhaps you're familiar with the exhaust stove, plumbing, and thermostatically controlled damper and/or heat riser valve found on older engines. Same deal. Also, air exiting the TB expands (and thus cools) as it enters the larger plenum. Think expansion valve in an AC system.

Not that the engine won't run OK without it but as 3p said it's there for a reason. Several in fact. Otherwise Toyota (and a whole lot of other makers) wouldn't have bothered which would have saved a ton of money over the number of cars built and made them more competitive. Personally I'm always surprised at how quick people are to defeat the best engineering of its time based on "knowing better". Myself, I paid a crap load for it and wanted every dime's worth.

Nick: Too late?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
jetjock;1947965 said:
.... If you want to worry about something worry about the little cap on the pax side of the engine.

I did!

p1948069_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
LOL- very fair question, after looking at the pic.
No, I took this picture, while holding the entire pipe assembly over the engine, that was on a stand.
It's not a plug; rather, I cut the nipple off, and had a shop tig weld a slightly larger section of pipe over it.
TIG welding is beyond my skillset.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
as for the plug of death i added a hose and a 3 way bypass valve so water keeps moving in the back of the motor when i am not using the heater and i bypassed those hoses under the intake why you ask? cause fuck you that's why