Coolant leak question

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Guys,

Driving around today (3rd day after taking the car out of storage) my car sprung a pretty large leak in the cooling system.

The leak is occuring behind all the stuff near the thermostat in front of the cylinder one exhaust port. It is dripping down from above where the HG is so I think the HG can be ruled out (unless 7M's can now break the rules of physics). I am thinking it is coming from where the thermostat housing bolts onto the head.

Has anyone ever seen this spring a leak? Is there something else in that area that could be causing this that I am overlooking? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The cars modifications currently include Apex intake, 2.5" straight pipe, BIC DDP, and the HKS SSQV kit (minus the insert for non ricey sound).

-Dave

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
the water housing (dont know correct term) that attaches to the block/head below the thermostat housing seems to be the area and the coolant lines running along the head under the mani have rubber elbows on them in that area... my bets on those rubber elbows ;)

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I hope so, but I think the leak is coming from above where those houses are. I finally know the heart sinking feeling others have felt when there car is just leaking tons of coolant all over the ground.

I will be taking the area apart tomorrow and I also hope it is just a rubber line as the car will be back on the road quicker if its that instead of a Toyota only gasket that I won't be able to get until Thursday.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Yota only parts is all i use now a days..... jeff (champion yota) is hard to beat for crucial parts man!!

Let us know, hope its that "simple" ;).

There isnt anything above that other then the thermostat elbow that can leak (besides a sensor).

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I second the notion of one of the small elbow hoses. I had one leak and they are a pain to replace.

Some may not agree with me on this; but, I recommend sticking with the 'tension' type factory hose clamp there. It keeps a constant pressure on the hose that the typical worm gear clamp won't. I've lost count as to how many times I've had to put a turn or two on those stupid things. For me, it's either the factory hose clamp or 'T-Clamps'. I hate those cheap worm gear ones! ;)

Anyway, good luck!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
grimreaper;1271787 said:
Yota only parts is all i use now a days..... jeff (champion yota) is hard to beat for crucial parts man!!

Let us know, hope its that "simple" ;).

There isnt anything above that other then the thermostat elbow that can leak (besides a sensor).

Yep, I agree that certain things, gaskets especially should be purchased only at Toyota. I will let you guys know what I find tomorrow after taking all the "clutter" off that part of the motor. Simple is a pretty relative term here, but this is quite a bit more simple then the other potential problem :)

Kenny - Ill keep the clamp info in mind. I really like the stock clamps mainly for how easy they are to remove.

Thanks

Last edited:

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
alright guys, the verdict is in. Turns out the previous owner forgot to put one of the three water outlet/Thermostat housing bolts in (only the 2 nuts on the studs were on it). Over time one of the two holding it on cam loose and the gasket spun a few degrees and we were left with a huge hole in the coolant system.

Thanks for the help.

-Dave