coolant leak (pics)

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
I cannot find exactly were this leak is coming from. Its not coming from water pump or the thermostat. Its coming from right behind the thermostat. Its not the turbo lines either. here are two pics of the lines I took,and the last ones what kept me from working any further.:aigo:

Attachments

• DSC01093.jpg
    DSC01093.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 76
  • coolantleak 001.jpg
    coolantleak 001.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That 90 deg rubber hose in the 2nd pic looks buldged...it connects the hard line around the block to the water neck. It might have a pin hole leak on the bottom side. In any case, I would replace it...it doesn't look good and if it goes, you will lose all your coolant in short order.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
Ya it is bulged. I am going to replace it. I am pretty sure its not the culprit. Is there another back there to check. never leaked before just one those things that popped up during the summer time heat.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If you dont think thats the culprit, go to an autoparts store and rent a coolant system pressure tester. You can pressurize to system to the right pressure(per rad. cap) and check for leaks without the engine running. That would be the easiest thing to do.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
- The hard line attaches to the water pump housing (gasket)
- The two turbo coolant lines to the water neck and water pump union (copper crush washers).
- Water neck sensors
- Where the water neck bolts to the head (gasket)
- Long shot - there's a freeze plug above the oil pressure sensor (I actually blew this one)

As posted above, a pressure test should reveal the leak.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
I bet its leaking where the water housing connects to the block. Not that i can see up there anyways. It has to be. It a pretty good leak. it leaks without the car running.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
hey guys i have isolated were the leak is. I have added the red arrow. Its behind that coolant attachment, but it is not leaking from it.

I have coolant pressure tester. when I pressurize the system and stick my finger back there I can feel it squirting but there is no way to see exactly were its coming from. It doesnt feel like its coming from where the thermostat housing neck connects to the block. Could the back of the water pump be cracked. Is there any thing else back their?

Attachments

• coolantleak 001.jpg
    coolantleak 001.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 32

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's a cast piece that bolts on to the front of the block...the front plate that has to be machined when you deck the block for a MHG prep. You would have to take everything off the front of the motor and remove the head to get to it.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
I have had this leak before and it was the water neck gasket. I bought a pressure tester to find this leak, it was a lot slower of a leak than yours appears to be though.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
I have a pressure tester. I dont THINK it is the water neck, but it is extremely hard to see where is leaking. I took the cps out and every thing else that wasnt a big deal. Spent an hour half looking with a flashlight and an inspection mirror.
Is there way to tighten the water pump housing with out taking the head off?

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
here is a pic i found. How do you get those studs loose? I guess I am having a brain fart? This gives me a pretty good idea where the leak is.

Attachments

• G300056530OES.JPG
    G300056530OES.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 14

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
So I would like to try and tighten where the timing belt case is leaking (right behind the water pump housing. I would like to avoid taking the waterpump off just to find I didnt need too.

Are the bolts covered by the water pump or do the water pump bolts go all the way threw to the block(threw the housing also)?