Coolant leak, but maybe not BHG?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
So I noticed yesterday that my engine temperature was high yesterday. It was about a 15 minute drive from work to my house. I check the coolant and it's low. So I add coolant. Today, I see the bird cage indicator is on. I check the coolant reservoir and it's very, very low.

Both yesterday and today I looked the engine bay all over. There isn't any buildup of coolant anywhere, and I can't find any leaks. It's not leaving me any traces. What exactly could this be? If it were BHG Syndrome I think it would be more noticeable. On my drive to work today the coolant level was fine, and right as I started my car after work it was all gone.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Do a compression test. HAve you done any recent coolant repairs? any smoke/steam out of exhaust? the expansion tank will allow coolant to be sucked into radiator when needed and released as well. if you do all the basic checks for a bhg, and pass then maybe you just had a hidden air pocket in the system somewhere.

but never rule out bhg. check compression maybe leakdown, block test and so.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
89supra7mgte;1601223 said:
Do a compression test. HAve you done any recent coolant repairs? any smoke/steam out of exhaust? the expansion tank will allow coolant to be sucked into radiator when needed and released as well. if you do all the basic checks for a bhg, and pass then maybe you just had a hidden air pocket in the system somewhere.

but never rule out bhg. check compression maybe leakdown, block test and so.

I haven't done any coolant repairs, and I didn't see any smoke or steam.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Rent a cooling system pressure tester.

Some times the leak will just drip right on the ground and its hard to notice.

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Greek -

#1 - STOP driving it.
#2 - All good advice so far to try to find out where your coolant is coming from. Find out!

This is advice because it says "noob" in your signature... I made the same mistake as you when I was new to Supras - BHG denial. I'd like for you to learn from me. If you keep driving it, you run the risk of another Supramania BHG thread! You said yourself you checked and there is no sign of any coolant leak under the hood...

If you are lucky now and don't have a BHG, good for you. Find and fix your leak and go on with life.

If you do have BHG, you could be lucky and it will only be a coolant to combustion chamber leak (they aren't always bad enough to steam - Ask me how I know. Mine wasn't "that noticable" until I got the head off - Everything bad was under the head.). If you find out now, you could only be in it for some minor new parts (fix leaking part as best case, or new gasket kit and a Saturday's worth of work if best case minor BHG). If you keep driving, you could overheat and be in for $ machining, or make a BHG worse and need to replace bearings because of water-oil transfer.

usdm_anon

Mar 20, 2010
Madison, WI
i had a similar problem with my n/a, check all your hose , mine was the "infamous" L hose, a ford one fit in its place good, thought i had a bhg for a couple of days.