Coolant gauge sensor

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
I have a question about the coolant sensor. If you look at the picture is the sensor supposed to be like this
With a space? Or do these have crush washer? I been looking through my stash
Of sensors and they all do the same thing. Any info will be great guys.
20140420_201856.jpg
20140420_201931.jpg

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
ok cool! i never looked at this sensor installed before or never payed any attention. but when i first seen it like this i was like WTF why isn't it going all the way in. it did that with every sensor i used so i was confused!

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
ta8aqujy.jpg

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I have to disagree I'm sure its suppose to have an o-ring as shown in the photo I posted and you can see the area where the o-ring goes in the other picture of the sensor

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Ok well my sensor had an o-ring on it before I replaced it and the new sensor came with an o-ring

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
It's a tapered pipe thread, it should have thread sealant on it as per the manual. New sensors come with thread sealant on them. There is not supposed to be a gasket or o-ring and that is not a spot meant for an o-ring, the threads just end before the hex head. Whoever put an o-ring on your car didn't need to, and I'm not entirely sure I believe your new sensor came with one, since they don't from Toyota or any other aftermarket one I've ever seen.

Jeff

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Jeff Lange, pretty sure its an M16x1.5 thread pitch. Can you find anywhere that it says its a tapered thread?

Those sensors are not tapered, neither are the threads in the housing. A lot of the sensors in the housing are M16x1.5, NPT and BSPT both don't fit.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
No o-ring on mine. If the factory wanted to seal that interface they would use a gasket, not an o-ring. It would need a radial groove added to the sensor head for an o-ring application. In any case, you can tell its obviously tapered just from installing the sensor.

SealingScrewDiagram300.jpg

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
It has been a really long time since I've actually looked at one on a Supra. I did some research after posting and it seems like it potentially is not a tapered thread (M16x1.5 may be right). I also did see some aftermarket parts options (like Standard's TS73T sender) that do have an o-ring on them, however these are used in many applications across multiple manufacturers. I don't know why they put that o-ring on there, but it is not needed or used on Toyotas from the factory. Most of the other non-tapered sensors have washers on them, this one does not. The stepped section is potentially bottoming out on the housing?

I should do some measuring/checking further, but I might not. Depends how curious I get about it.

EDIT: This is what a new sensor looks like:
83420_20020_300.jpg

This is some info from an aftermarket supplier (I've found similar info from other sources):
water_temperature_sensor_sw_w1003toyota_mitsubishi_gm_hyundai_kia_volkswagen83420_16010_83420_20010_83420_20020_md001380_md603427_.jpg

Jeff

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Jeff Lange;2005227 said:
It has been a really long time since I've actually looked at one on a Supra. I did some research after posting and it seems like it potentially is not a tapered thread (M16x1.5 may be right). I also did see some aftermarket parts options (like Standard's TS73T sender) that do have an o-ring on them, however these are used in many applications across multiple manufacturers. I don't know why they put that o-ring on there, but it is not needed or used on Toyotas from the factory. Most of the other non-tapered sensors have washers on them, this one does not. The stepped section is potentially bottoming out on the housing?

I should do some measuring/checking further, but I might not. Depends how curious I get about it.

EDIT: This is what a new sensor looks like:

This is some info from an aftermarket supplier (I've found similar info from other sources):

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff! I had to plug a few of the ports on the thermostat housing and the 3/8 NPT plugs I bought didn't work (duh, they need to be BSPT). Bought a few 3/8 BSPT plugs, ALL of them leaked even with teflon tape. I ended up buying 16x1.5mm plugs and those aren't leaking.

I couldn't find any concrete information on it, only a few posts on some other Toyota forums.

I was really frustrated for a few days :D