Control Arm Bushing Failure

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Just curious if anyone could tell me what it feels like. (lower, I'm assuming) My passenger side had really bad tie rods, bad lower ball joint, and I think the bearing was bad too. all of that caused lateral play in the rack on that side too. I replaced all of that (new rack, wheel bearing, ball joint, and tie rods), but something still knocks when I load that side, and it feels rough when it's in a turn. :nono:

Last edited:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well it seems that the back bushing takes less effort to move than the front one. I couldnt simulate load though. more like the opposite of load (pushing out, instead of in) assuming that means it's bad?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
If you can move them at all with little effort then it's time to replace. It's an old car. My Lexus lower control arm bushings went out (very common on SC's) and the car shook like hell after 55 mph. It would also clunk over rough bumps and tramline (follow every groove in the road).

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
ah, thanks for the advice. literally everything else is either brand new or tight, so I can't figure it would be anything else. just didn't know/wasnt sure