Concerning "The Great Fuel Filter Myth" Article

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Even though this speaks of how the filter does not require replacement as much as people think, with almost 200k on the clock of my Supra I believe it is probably about time for a new one. And since I currently have my driveshaft out, seems like it would be a good time to change it.

I imagine it would be worth it get a genuine filter from Toyota for $36 instead of one from the local autoparts store? I have seen that a few of them carry Wix brand filters for a little more than half that price. Since their oil filters are one of the better ones that can be used, I figure their fuel filters couldn't be too bad.

Should I just go ahead and order one from the dealership or use a Wix brand filter? Or does it even really matter?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I bought a Hastings filter for mine when I worked at a parts store. Never installed it.
The way I figure it, Toyota has their methods. They say the filter is good for 20+ years and a quadrillion miles, and it's a pain in the ass to change. I feel it's worth the extra $$ for the filter that Toyota sells.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If the fuel pump dies it's a good idea to replace the filter. The sock filter on the fuel pump will catch the vast majority of particles in the fuel. The fuel filter gets the smaller stuff.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
i changed mine thinking it was clogged up after being on there from day one. but surprisingly it was fine. changed it a few mortimes it the following few weeks thinking it was the problem to my car not starting. got to where i could change it in about 8-10 minutes....lol

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Lots of different opinions on the topic... For ~$18 for an OEM replacement, available immediately from any auto parts store, I'd go with that (Knowing that I will not wait another 100K miles, before changing again). The cost, whether ~$18 or ~$38, is negligible if you will wait 2, 5, or10 years to change again.