compression

noxide

Jul 8, 2005
conroe
www.noxide.com
When replaceing the head Gasket, why go with what you cut out? If you go with a stock size wont it increase your compression giving you more hp? Also the gasket that goes between the valve covers where the spark plugs are, where can i get a new one, mine is all bent up.

N

NDBoost

noxide said:
When replaceing the head Gasket, why go with what you cut out? If you go with a stock size wont it increase your compression giving you more hp? Also the gasket that goes between the valve covers where the spark plugs are, where can i get a new one, mine is all bent up.
you mean the valve cover gaskets? or the metal thing that covers the spark plug valley?

As far as the HG sizes go, you dont want to get a smaller one because you willr aise the compression, which could mean detonation. Which def isnt good, For instance i made the mistake of buying a 1.2mm mhg before i got the head resurfaced. They took .2mm off so now ive only got a 1mm head gasket.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
Noxide if you are staying NA then a shorter HeadGasket is ok only on boosted motors will it really man a difference. On NA motor compression is good well till you get over 10.

C

cnewingham

if you are going turbo then you definetly need to watch your compression ratio if staying on a na block, and you also need to be able to tune that thing. As far as the middle sparkplug gasket you can eliminate it. I have removed it from all 4 supras I have owned due to the fact of debris getting in there. With it off you can blow everything out before changing your plugs and you can also tell if you have a leaky valve cvr gasket. just my .02

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Getting a thicker HG only lowers the compression ratio, it doesn’t net you any more horse power. However if you have the supporting upgrades(fuel, turbo, ect.) it allows you to run more boost without entering detonation. Were talking 20+ psi before you even have to start thinking about that. The down side to lowering the compression ratio is that you decrease the off boost responsiveness of the motor.

You need a happy median between detonation prevention and response of the motor. The stock HG thickness provides this balance. The thicker HG is only to compensate for the material you have to shave of the head/block for them to be straight again, and return the compression ratio to normal.

edited: because of dyslexia :p

Last edited:
C

cnewingham

Noxide are you going na->t or a complete turbo swap? If you are going na-t I would run a 2mm mhg.
Also a thicker hg lowers your compression ratio not increases it.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
cnewingham said:
Noxide are you going na->t or a complete turbo swap? If you are going na-t I would run a 2mm mhg.
Also a thicker hg lowers your compression ratio not increases it.

Doh.... Your right cnewingham. I know better than that I don't know why I messed that up.

*fixed

C

cnewingham

if you use turbo pistons then it will already be lowering you cr. all you need to do is to figure how much material has been removed from the surfaces and use that to determine how thick of a hg you need.