Did the compression test!
#1 Cyl. = 145psi
#2 Cyl. = 100psi
#3 Cyl. = 145psi
#4 Cyl. = 140psi
#5 Cyl. = 142psi
#6 Cyl. = 10psi

Well, Its either rebuild or part out!
My wife wants me to get rid of it, Of course I'd get rid of her first. But this has got to be the most depressing thing ever. Thought it was running great then......
Anyway, If I put it back together I still need to find out what caused the problem so it doesn't happen again.

Anybody got a line on some pistons/rings?

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
unless you have a really deep pocket full of cash or a very good cc, id look into a replacement engine. thats just me. im still deciding on weither to sell or keep my supra. i dont think rings are the issue. pop the head off that engine and have it all checked out. then youll know what to do with it. after seeing numbers like that, id thing the hg or the head is at fault.

just my .02

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
^yeah, usually rings don't deteriorate so bad where it's only reading 10psi in a cylinder, unless the ring gaps got lined up somehow

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Put about a table spoon of oil in each cylinder and rerun the test. If it jumps up dramatically, especially 2 and 6, its the rings. I would run a leakdown test as well if you have the tools or know someone that does.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have 10 psi in one of my cylinders. Took it to a mechanic and they told me one of my exhaust valves burnt out. They claimed they did a compression, and leakdown test. I bought a head that had P&P work done to it, and they installed that on for me. I drove it off after they replace the head, and it was still missing, and sputtering. Took it right back to them and they had no idea what it was. They told me that they were going to have to tear it down and see if there was something going on with the pistons or rings. I just took my car from them and parked it until I was ready to work on it myself. This it what I found.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19332

My number one cylinder was reading 10psi when that happend.

I don't think your wife is ever going to like your Supra until you buy her a house with everything she wants in it. If you haven't done so already.