Complete 87 Supra interior in a 91 Supra? or vice versa?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Hey everyone. I have came across a 91 manual turbo Supra in my local area and it has a rod knock and the body in the front corner is slightly damaged but somewhat fixed. My question is I have a 87 Turbo Supra with a mint gray interior with pieces I have been collecting over the past 15 years and I may either do a manual conversion on my 87 Supra or fix the 91 and swap over the interior.

Is this possible or has this been done by anyone?

The differences I know of are:

- 87 rear seat belts are lap style, the 91 includes a 3 point seat belt (the 87 Supra body looks like it has the mount and bolt hole for the 3 point seat belt under the rear plastic in the hatch)

- 91 center counsel under arm rest is smaller due to air bag computer but I plan on removing the air bag and computer.

- 91 interior light dimer switch panel is different but I don't think that should matter.

- 91 front door speaker pods are bigger but I already use the 6.5" pods in my 87 style door panel.

- 91 supra has mid speakers by the rear seats and the 87 does not. I will probably remove them or find a gray speaker cover from a 89+ and cut it out.

- 91 Supra steering wheel has a air bag but I do plan on removing that. Will a 87 gray steering wheel fit and still retain horn and cruise control?

Thanks again everyone.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I have only owned an 87 Supra, so I can't answer any of your questions. But I do suggest you consider keeping the air bags. From a liability standpoint, if you have a passenger and get in an accident that results in them getting hurt, the insurance company might question why there were no air bags in a car that was supposed to have them. This could lead to a lawsuit or legal trouble for you. It could also cause problems for you if you have to go through a safety inspection where you live.

-AM3

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Another MkIII;2087888 said:
I have only owned an 87 Supra, so I can't answer any of your questions. But I do suggest you consider keeping the air bags. From a liability standpoint, if you have a passenger and get in an accident that results in them getting hurt, the insurance company might question why there were no air bags in a car that was supposed to have them. This could lead to a lawsuit or legal trouble for you. It could also cause problems for you if you have to go through a safety inspection where you live.

-AM3

Thanks for the response. I would have kept the air bag but the it already went off and is no good as I got the car in that condition also (had a light front side scrape on a parking pole). We do not do inspections or even test for emissions here north of Chicago or I think even at all in Illinois for 95 or older vehicles so I would be good with that part. I'm thinking I would go with a 89 style Supra steering wheel instead of my gray steering wheel as that is the only part of my gray interior that is cracked and needs to be replaced.