compession diffences

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
I tried searching but cant find it. my N/A has R/K and I have a gte block.
but funds ran short and cant do complete rebuild right now. I need my daily back
being that work is kinda pickin up. And with a baby cant afford to buy one.

With that being said my ? is: What makes the difference in the compression is it the pistons or the rods?

With that being asked can I swap the N/A pistons onto the gte rods and use the
gte crank, (pretty much the bottom end of the gte with N/A pistons.) In the N/A block?

Thanks very much
Sean

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ya the cranks and rods are the same its just the pistons. you could also just run the gte pistons and save for the turbo part. just be a lil slower.

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
hvyman;1386707 said:
ya the cranks and rods are the same its just the pistons. you could also just run the gte pistons and save for the turbo part. just be a lil slower.

That was the main reason I asked. I was really happy with the power i had in the n/a. how much slow would you say.
scale of one to ten.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
from what I know the N/A engine has a SCR of 9.1:1, the GTE 8.4:1. You may be able to advance the ignition timing a couple degrees to help make up for any power losses.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
sean210;1386708 said:
That was the main reason I asked. I was really happy with the power i had in the n/a. how much slow would you say.
scale of one to ten.

Pig slow, especially on acceleration...advancing timing is not going to help.

You do realize it's more to it than just slapping pistons in a block I hope.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
jdub;1386715 said:

I would venture a guess advancing the timing a little would help. No it would not make up for the loss in compression. Yes I realize it is more than "slapping" pistons in a block. Don't insult me.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SySt;1386730 said:
I would venture a guess advancing the timing a little would help. No it would not make up for the loss in compression. Yes I realize it is more than "slapping" pistons in a block. Don't insult me.

Your answer was pretty basic and I was talking to the OP.
I wasn't insulting you. If I was, you would damn sure know it ;)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
jdub;1386736 said:
Your answer was pretty basic and I was talking to the OP.
I wasn't insulting you. If I was, you would damn sure know it ;)

Can you state for a fact that advancing the timing would not add more power or throttle response? If not, why not withdraw your statement? You certainly did not quote the OP.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SySt;1386740 said:
Can you state for a fact that advancing the timing would not add more power or throttle response? If not, why not withdraw your statement? You certainly did not quote the OP.

Yes I can...it will not make up for lower compression pistons in a NA motor...I thought it was pretty clear when I said:

jdub;1386715 said:

It's also becoming pretty clear that you don't have a clue what advancing ignition timing does and the dangers involved in doing so. Why do you think Toyota put a higher compression piston in the NA 7M? If the engineers could have made up the difference by advancing timing and use a common piston for all motors, don't you think they would have done so?

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
jdub;1386715 said:

Yes I know its more then slapping pistons in a block!
dont Insult when you dont all the facts

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
sean210;1386769 said:
Yes I know its more then slapping pistons in a block!
dont Insult when you dont all the facts

Pretty sure I have all the "facts" I need for this train wreck of a thread. Time for me to exit and leave you with all the other great advice you've been offered thus far. Should be rather interesting.

BTW - welcome to my ignore list.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
JDub has obviously never dealt with a budget build. As I have stated, the N/A engine does make a larger compression ratio. I can not vouch for whether or not that is all due to piston differences. However, You may be able to advance the ignition to help make up for the power losses of running a lower compression if your constraints cause you to use GTE pistons in an N/A setup. I make no guarantee as to how well that will work. I believe it goes without saying that you are doing this at your own will.

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
DBN;1386848 said:
Jdub was the one person you should have listened to...

I listen to everyones input.
The main thing is I'm on a very limited budget and the price of seals, bearings, gaskets and ect. will be cheaper then trying to buy a new daily.

that is the main reason for me asking the original question.