cometic gasket question

Status
Not open for further replies.

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
i know this has probably been asked before, but...

i have been looking at the cometic mls HG, and was wondering if i need to remachine the surfaces for it. can i just crack open a JDM Motor and plop that on with ARP Studs and run it? or do i need surfacing work?

thanks!

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
i also have this question.....also the owners of my car before me rebuilt the motor. it has about 8,000 miles on it. they said that they got it reserfaced when they did it. would it still be good enough for a metal head gasket? is there anyway to just tell if it would be good enough without giving it to a machinist.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
I had my head milled and it cost me 45$ which is cheap IMHO

i would have it checked. Cometic MHG's have alot more lee way than the HKS and Greddy shit. i have NEVER had my block resurfaced and no problems so far after 8 months of hard driving. i do recommend getting some Gold Seal Copper Spray from the Dodge Dealership. spray both sides of the gasket then lay it on there, and ARP studs or bolts.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i believe he meant WARPED.

the head is aluminum and I6 so if it gets hot enough it'll bow up like a damn bridge. thats what he meant.

You could check yurself. take the head off and where the block and head mate together lay a straight edge on it and shine a flash light from the other side. if you see light its warped. get it milled.....

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Seven M said:
i believe he meant WARPED.

the head is aluminum and I6 so if it gets hot enough it'll bow up like a damn bridge. thats what he meant.
basically...it wasnt a type-o, i just meant if the surface was "wiped" as in wiped out, or beat, hahaha

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
ahhh ok well atleast i was on the right track i figured you meant warped and you did but said differently. ok confused now LOL

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I don't think shining a flash light is a good way to check for warped heh. Just get a filler set used to measure valve clearing and shove it under the straight edge and see if it within spec.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There is no MHG that is plug-and-play...proper prep is the key to installing a MHG. The Cometic is a very good MHG, but here are a few things you need to do:

- You check the head for warpage with a machinist straight edge and a set of feeler gauges...0.1mm (0.0039") is the max. The TRSM tells how to do it. A hardness test on the head is highly recommended.

- Both the head and block have to be re-surfaced to the RA spec required for the MHG used. 50 RA max is the spec for a Cometic...you want the lowest RA on both the head and block the machine shop equipment is capable of. (Seven M...you got lucky on your block)

- The proper thickness of the MHG is determined by how much material is removed from the head/block. The stock thickness is 1.0mm...there is .039" per 1.0mm...you can do the math ;) Cometic will make a MHG to the thickness you need.

- You DO NOT want to use any type of spray coating on a new MHG. They come pre-coated with a very thin layer for the initial seal. Cometic specifically warns not to do this. Spray coatings can turn the factory pre-coat into goo. (Seven M...that's twice for you...buy a lottery ticket ASAP) If you re-use a MHG, then using a spray coating is fine...basically you are replacing the factory coating.

- The Cometic MHG uses rivets to hold the MHG together...any rivet that touches the surface of the head must be removed prior to install or you risk a bad seal.

- Using ARP hardware, use the torque spec included in the box...studs vs bolts are different.

- When the block is decked, the front plate has to be machined as well so it doesn't stick up on top. This will prevent a seal as well. Make sure you use RTV per the TRSM on the top of the front plate, otherwise you will have an oil leak.

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
that seems like more work than i can afford right now, i heard using a stock gasket with arp hardware is safe for 12 Psi, is that true?

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
jdub said:
- Both the head and block have to be re-surfaced to the RA spec required for the MHG used. 50 RA max is the spec for a Cometic...you want the lowest RA on both the head and block the machine shop equipment is capable of. (Seven M...you got lucky on your block)

Never did the block and blew HG twice. NO PROBLEMS!!!

jdub said:
- You DO NOT want to use any type of spray coating on a new MHG. They come pre-coated with a very thin layer for the initial seal. Cometic specifically warns not to do this. Spray coatings can turn the factory pre-coat into goo. (Seven M...that's twice for you...buy a lottery ticket ASAP) If you re-use a MHG, then using a spray coating is fine...basically you are replacing the factory coating.

Talked to several people that have done it and they recommended it!! The place that sold them suggested it too. No problems here 16 PSI on the Stock CT and 15 psi on a 60-1 7 months running. destroying the metal HG i think not.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Seven M said:
jdub said:

Never did the block and blew HG twice. NO PROBLEMS!!!

Blowing a HG twice is not a problem? :aigo:

Seven M said:
jdub said:

Talked to several people that have done it and they recommended it!! The place that sold them suggested it too. No problems here 16 PSI on the Stock CT and 15 psi on a 60-1 7 months running. destroying the metal HG i think not.

You can do whatever you want man...I'm sure you and your friends are a lot smarter than the engineers that designed the various MHG's. I do know if you read the manufacturer (HKS, Cometic, etc) recommendations/installation instructions, they say not to use a spray or that one is not required. But hey...it's your motor...you can do anything you want to with it. But telling anyone here that it's recommended is pure rubbish when it's counter to manufacturer instructions.

Read this article:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb70228.htm

It tells you all you ever wanted to know about a MHG, but were afraid to ask. Note (under installation issues) that it also says not to use a spray coating on a new MHG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.