COLUMBUS, OH Area - Phillips Racing Engines in Grove City, OH

mrjbacon

Jul 20, 2012
Dublin, OH
Anyone have any experience with these guys? I called today to ask some questions as I'm looking for a shop to do some machine work on my block, possibly head. Was pleasantly surprised with their knowledge and capabilities, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of them. A couple points from the conversation I had with them on the phone:

1.) They DO have a torque plate for the 7m-gte, but they do NOT use it bore, only to hone. (I thought you were supposed to use it to bore as well, is this normal?) $150 to HONE cylinders with torque plate.

2.) Hot-tank service is $100. This seems a little steep, but whatever.

3.) Block deck machining: They would need to see the condition of the deck to see how much material to remove, but they can do minimal material. They use some fancy graphite carbide CBN cutter of some sort, and RA is ~18 when finished. I'm looking to go with a MHG, is this ~18 RA good enough, or would I need the block deck lapped as well? Block deck milling is $175.

4.) State-of-the-art computer balancer to do rotating assemblies, flywheels, etc. Didn't think to ask how much the service cost, but I did ask if they weight-matched rods and pistons before balancing and they do. They polish the crank afterwards as part of the service. Not sure why they'd need to though, maybe someone can enlighten me.

The guy on the phone mentioned someone's Blue DD Supra from the Columbus area that they did work on that makes around 575rwhp, and that over the years they have done tons of work on supras, both MKIII and MKIV, so I feel pretty comfortable using this shop to get machine work done. Let me know what you think SM.

4cefed

Aug 29, 2010
mt vernon oh
i built my motor at nyhart engines in danville. the guy does great work and hell work with you so you can be involved with building it. It feels great when you build it instead of someone else doing it all.

mrjbacon

Jul 20, 2012
Dublin, OH
4cefed;1863087 said:
i built my motor at nyhart engines in danville. the guy does great work and hell work with you so you can be involved with building it. It feels great when you build it instead of someone else doing it all.

Duly noted. I'll have to check them out. My plan right now though is to just get my machining done there, since I have none of the equipment to do any of that myself. I'm actually planning on doing all of my dis-assembly/reassembly myself.

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
We have our motors built by Philips, Mike is great guy ..he know his stuff, I don't go anywhere else .. If you do go there watch out for that big Horse dog at the front.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I was told Fowler Engines by the airport has experience with the 7M but never actually called to confirm it.

Fowler Engines Inc.
3021 Switzer Ave
Columbus, OH 43219
(614) 258-2924