cold start time switch

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
jetjock said:
Uh guys, it's impossible for a busted cold start switch to affect either idle or mixture beyond starting.

not true. when i 1st got my supra the injector was not even pluged in and the idle was shitty when i got a new plug for it idled like a dream now i dont know if a 88 is diffrent form other years but i do know it has some effect over it cause if i unplug it now with a fully rebuilt with no vac leaks it will run like crap

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
ATL88Supra said:
not true. when i 1st got my supra the injector was not even pluged in and the idle was shitty when i got a new plug for it idled like a dream now i dont know if a 88 is diffrent form other years but i do know it has some effect over it cause if i unplug it now with a fully rebuilt with no vac leaks it will run like crap

Just a little heads up. . . You may be confusing the CSI time switch with the Coolant temp sensor (CTS). Common mistake, no biggy, they are both on the thermostat housing. And ya, JJ is right.;)

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
i know what you are talking about, the switch is that top plug. mine was cut off when i got the car (the owner really fuked up the car i have spent the last moth fixing cut wires) but before i had the flug hooked back up it 1) would take forever and a day to start up 2)ran like shit at idle

once replaced it ran like a dream so was this something els all togeather ? maybe you try it on you're supra and tell me what you think (not trying to sound like a ass cause i just realised that sounded really arrogent)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Perhaps you're confusing the cold start injector itself with the time switch. While it's certainly true a bad time switch could impair cold starting there is no way it can effect idle or mixture once the key is released from start. This is because the only power source for the entire cold start system comes from the starter circuit. This remains true even when the ECU takes over control of the injector, which it does during cranking at very low coolant temps.

Put another way the schematic and wiring don't lie. Course, if your wiring has been hacked all bets are off.

A funky cold start injector could do both of the things you mentioned, as could a funky EFI coolant temp sensor. That said in the case of the coolant sensor it would have to fail a certain way.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
jetjock said:
Perhaps you're confusing the cold start injector itself with the time switch. While it's certainly true a bad time switch could impair cold starting there is no way it can effect idle or mixture once the key is released from start. This is because the only power source for the entire cold start system comes from the starter circuit. This remains true even when the ECU takes over control of the injector, which it does during cranking at very low coolant temps.

Put another way the schematic and wiring don't lie. Course, if your wiring has been hacked all bets are off.

A funky cold start injector could do both of the things you mentioned, as could a funky EFI coolant temp sensor. That said in the case of the coolant sensor it would have to fail a certain way.

ahhhhhhhhh ha you should see my poor harness it looks like its been cut 10000 times and its hard to replace them now days

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
ATL88Supra said:
ahhhhhhhhh ha you should see my poor harness it looks like its been cut 10000 times and its hard to replace them now days

Not hard. Just takes $500.00 and removing the upper plenum. ;)

Last edited: