Cold start engine performance

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just something I'm curious about as the car's done this since I've owned it.

Basically on a dead cold start, if you sit in neutral and rev to 2k, it feels like I have to "push" it to get it beyond there. I don't ever rev past 2.5k until I see 160*F on the coolant temp, so don't worry, I'm not cold engine thrashing. The vacuum will go from about -20 InHg @ idle to close to -12 InHg once you hit the 2k - 2.5k range (and this is sitting in the driveway in neutral). Once the engine's been running for 5 - 10 minutes (basically once you can see the stock temp gauge cross the actual mark for cold) everything is happy. If you drive it straight out, everything seems fine. It's about -2InHg off normal warm cruising vacuum, but I would expect that to be normal under cold conditions and in enrichment mode (correct me if I'm wrong).

No codes in the ECU, compression is good, no boost leaks (I went over the whole system this last weekend and fixed all that).

This something I should investigate further? Like I said at the beginning, it's done this since I've owned the car (4 years) and the condition hasn't changed. The engine's gone through a full top end re+re (replaced a cracked head) while I've owned the car and didn't change from before and after that. About the only thing that I could think of if it's actually a problem is maybe an injector that's unhappy when it's cold, but it doesn't miss at all :confused:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Never thought of that, thanks! Does it go out of adjustement on it's own over time and if so, how often should it be checked?

EDIT: If I do pull the sensor, do I have to worry about draining coolant?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No worries about coolant.

You can get one of the angle screw drivers to make your life easier so you won't have to remove the ISCV.

Also, it can go loose overtime as there are only Phillips screws holding it on and from what I have seen numerous times, people just use the top screw since the one on the bottom is "hard to get to."

Before doing anything, check the resistance using the TSRM's procedure and make sure the throttle plate is fully closed and not being held open by the adjustable screw.