Coils that work with the 7M?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I've tried searching but can't really find much info on this subject.
What I want to know is which coils works with the 7M-GTE?
I would also like a coil with built in igniters to make it easier and to reduce the clutter.
And a side note is that I'm running a standalone.

Stock 7M-GTE coilpack
So far it seams as the stock old coilpack is the most popular. And sure it's good...until it starts to fail. Am I right say that getting brand new ones is out of the question?
There are two things on the downside here; it requires three igniters and is in a wasted spark formation.

IS300 coils
This seams like a equally good choice as the stock ones. Makes for a cleaner engine bay and works with the stock multiplex igniter.
So it's wasted spark and does also require three igniters.
The big plus is that these are easier to get a hold of in a good condition or even new.

MK4 COP
Here we have a coil that is designed for a coil on plug installation. It has a built in igniter. These seam easier to get brand new than the stock 7M-GTE coil.
But do they fit on the 7M? Or what about running them in a CNP formation instead?

LS1, LS2 and LQ9 coil-per-plug
This seams to be a nice replacement.
They are pretty cheap on ebay. They have a built in igniter. It might even be possible to use these as COP, but will they fit? And if using them as CNP, where do they fit with a stock intake manifold?

VAG 115R/115F/115L
This coil is popular here in europe on other cars but I havent seen them on supras yet. Anyone running them?
This is a COP coil with built in igniter.

What other coils are there that can work with the 7M? and can anyone straighten out the question marks about the coils above?

Thanks
/Marcus

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
My buddy got mistubishi coils to work with mine ;D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
eraezer;1758424 said:
Which mitsubishi coils are those? I'm guessing that those are for wasted spark? Built in igniter?

Appearntly they come off "any 4G63 DOHC from Galant GSR/VR4 to EVO0-3 and 4G93 DOHC" As for wasted spark.. no idea sorrie buddy... and don't think they're an inbuilt ignited seeing that I still have my external ignitor connected.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I'm really interested.. I would love a COP setup that has a built in igniter to replace the stock one for a couple reasons.

cykornr

Aug 21, 2005
Newark
After I installed an MSD DIS-4 the stocked coils shorted to ground. My choice at the time was $300 for a stock replacement or $50 for the GM from the local pick-n-pull. I installed a set of GM coils. Not as neat as a set from a Lexus but if money is a concern. 2 years later everything is still working great.