Coilover Options? (Chinese brands need not apply)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
So I've recently been considering getting a set of coilovers for my car, but I'm having a tough time even finding a decent quality set, and from there, understanding their characteristics. My car is primarily a weekend cruiser, and gets light/occasional track usage. (A few autocrosses, 1-2 days on the track a summer)

I tend to be a real stickler for nice build quality, and the various Chinese/Taiwanese brands available are of no interest to me. (BC, Megan, Godspeed, etc.)

But just eliminating those leaves surprisingly few options. I've noticed only Tein are readily available, and those have a reputation for a spectacularly stiff ride. So I'm wondering, what other options are out there? Where are they available? Any feedback on other brands? Thanks for any info that can be provided!

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
I have fortune auto 500 coilovers on mine. Extremely happy. Also they are built to order so you can get custom spring rates no charge, and they have some other options. I ordered mine from thmotorsports. I'm sure they can help you out with more info.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
I installed a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers with the EDFC Active controller a few months ago and I have been very pleased.

On setting 16, they are pillow-ey soft. They firm up very nicely around 8. I usually run 8 in the front and 6 in the back. I am very happy with my decision as I like being able to adjust the stiffness on the fly.

In comparison to the Eibach/Bilstein combo I have on my Audi, these are much, much better. I'd say the Eibach/Bilstein combo would be about a 6 on the Tein Scale.

Good luck figuring out what will work for you, hopefully the above gives you something to consider.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I had eibach and bilstien on the supra. Its ok for cruising around but its too bouncy and unpredictable for harder driving.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
that is really good feedback on the tein option. I have always had my eyes on those since some of the back roads I like have really crappy sections where it would be nice to soften them up.

Does the EDFC work with any tein shock with adjustable compression and rebound or are is EDFC specific to a particular EDFC shock?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Has to be compatible for edfc. Irrc the flex was the only ones for our cars but not sure.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
crimson88;2022883 said:
I have fortune auto 500 coilovers on mine. Extremely happy. Also they are built to order so you can get custom spring rates no charge, and they have some other options. I ordered mine from thmotorsports. I'm sure they can help you out with more info.

Interested in your thoughts on the Fortune Auto ones? Are you happy with them so far?
What spring rates did you opt for?

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Damn, I feel offended, Lol; my Megan Coilovers are good so far (installed mid August). Then again, I haven't experienced any other brand.

Anyway, I was considering D2 Coilovers a month ago when I was in shopping around for coilovers however the price was a bit out of my range. But I'd play it safe and say Power by Max coilovers or Stance would be great choices!