Coil Replacement Options

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
It's probably about that time for a new set of coils as mine are still the original. I'm just glad they lasted as long as they did. Once I started exceeding the factory boost they started to slowly deteriorate.

I'm assuming that the OEM Denso coils from Rock Auto are going to be best choice and the cheapest at 67 dollars each.

DENSO Part # 6731200

I've also seen these "Super Spark Coils" offered on SupraStore and now DriftMotion. I could care less about SupraStore, but if DriftMotion if selling them I guess they warrant a closer look. I'm assuming though, there is nothing special about the coils and they're just a non-OEM replacement part.

Are these a viable choice and does anyone have any first hand information about them?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-superspark1jz2jzcoilpackset.php

Anyway, right now I'm leaning towards the OEM, because that's how I prefer things. I just want to make sure I'm buying at the best price and making the correct decision. I'm only making 350whp on a Dyno Dynamics. Even if that is normally the lowest reading dyno, 350-400 at the wheels is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks in advance

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
I bought six of those Superspark-coils for 300$ 2nd hand.... just because they were cheaper than new stock coils at that time.
They worked great for me, at stock'ish levels....fits like stock and everything. but are they worth buying brand new? Nope. Go for the denso coils IMO. Lasts 10's of years and with a good working igniter, should handle 500whp without a problem.

there is no real need for Superspark coils IMO.... stock Denso coils are great, and Superspark offers 15% more powerful spark for over twice the price.... you do the math.
The limiting factor is the Igniter and poor old corroded wiring as long as the coils are in good condition.
And if you are aiming for 800whp or similar..... just go for LS-2 truck coils and custom ignition system really...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Radial;1907597 said:
I bought six of those Superspark-coils for 300$ 2nd hand.... just because they were cheaper than new stock coils at that time.
They worked great for me, at stock'ish levels....fits like stock and everything. but are they worth buying brand new? Nope. Go for the denso coils IMO. Lasts 10's of years and with a good working igniter, should handle 500whp without a problem.

there is no real need for Superspark coils IMO.... stock Denso coils are great, and Superspark offers 15% more powerful spark for over twice the price.... you do the math.
The limiting factor is the Igniter and poor old corroded wiring as long as the coils are in good condition.
And if you are aiming for 800whp or similar..... just go for LS-2 truck coils and custom ignition system really...

Twice the price, I haven't seen a set of Denso coils for much less than $400. You know of a source cheaper than Rock Auto?

There's definitely no need for LS2 or LQ9 coils.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
SupraMedical68;1907665 said:
Twice the price, I haven't seen a set of Denso coils for much less than $400. You know of a source cheaper than Rock Auto?

No, rockauto is the cheapest one without a doubt.
Superspark coils was 699$/set when I was looking at them.... plus shipping.... And rockauto is less than 350$/set plus shipping. That's why I said 15% more spark, for dubble the price.

Still, even at 500$ they are not worth it IMO.
Use the 150$ between Denso and Superspark to buy a new igniter instead.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Radial;1907833 said:
No, rockauto is the cheapest one without a doubt.
Superspark coils was 699$/set when I was looking at them.... plus shipping.... And rockauto is less than 350$/set plus shipping. That's why I said 15% more spark, for dubble the price.

Still, even at 500$ they are not worth it IMO.
Use the 150$ between Denso and Superspark to buy a new igniter instead.

I purchased a set of six Denso coils for $386 not including shipping from Rock Auto. That's with the 5% SM discount.

I'll try them out sometime this weekend.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
SupraMedical68;1907665 said:

Why isnt worth upgrading to the ls2 or lq9 coils. I seen a few sets going for 200obo. Wouldnt it be worth it? And does anyone know if it has a higher spark?

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Why? Because its allot of work to get LS-coils to fit any engine.... exept LS-engines of course.
You need:

- Custom coil-mounts
- Pigtails
- full re-wiring of the entire ignition system
- Custom Sparkplug-cables

It's allot of work, and all the stuff you need easily cost you 200$ extra.... all the sudden LS-coils aren't that cheap after all.
But yes, they are far more "powerful" than the stock 1J and 2J Denso coils... thats why they are popular with standalones (High HP) in combination with the integrated igniter.

LQ-coils is the most powerful (Mitsubishi produced coil, with the heat-sink on the connector-side) of the LS-series. Megasquirt-forums tested them and the results were impressive... as far as I remember LQ-coils are twice as powerful as LS1-coils.
Google it and you'll find the test.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
scmaluco;1910647 said:
Why isnt worth upgrading to the ls2 or lq9 coils. I seen a few sets going for 200obo. Wouldnt it be worth it? And does anyone know if it has a higher spark?

It doesn't matter what the price point is. I'm not making nearly enough at the wheels to concern myself with using other types of coils. I just needed a OEM replacement for my 20 year old coil set-up.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
Obviously it matters what the price is despite if you are looking for oem or not. Anyways I guess we need another thread on how to make the ls2 and lq9 coils work. I found one on the supra forum of a guy that did it to his 7m. That forum pisses me off bc u really cant post anywhere .. anyways .

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
scmaluco;1910692 said:
Obviously it matters what the price is despite if you are looking for oem or not. Anyways I guess we need another thread on how to make the ls2 and lq9 coils work. I found one on the supra forum of a guy that did it to his 7m. That forum pisses me off bc u really cant post anywhere .. anyways .

Yeah, you have fun with that.