Coil pack secondary resistance

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I am checking my coil packs and I am having weak spark from #6 and #4, right side of coil pack. I found the primary resistance but nothing on secondary. I read one of JJ threads about the secondary coil could be shorting out causing weak spark. If anyone could tell me the resistance on the secondary it would be great. Maybe I am overlooking it.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Ok. I just read in one of my books that there is no way to check the secondary resistance. If anybody knows any tips or tricks let me know.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Secondary winding resistance can't be measured without special gear due to integral high voltage diodes. Lacking an ignition scope the other option is to buy one of those cheap-ish digital testers. Keep in mind secondary voltage is dependent on many things eg; gap, cylinder pressure, and mixture.

You could also swap around the good pack. This assumes you've already tested the secondary wiring, primary supply, trigger signal, etc. Or just change the packs. And as per the post you read don't be doing open circuit firings...

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Ok. I have some extra coil packs laying around, so I will try them. The problem I am having is when I am decelerating, like in 5th gear and it gets down to around 1200 rpms or if I load it up in 5th gear it will smoke. I know it is due to not burning the fuel because when I am in 5th gear and I down shift and kick the rpms back up the smoking stops. Then I started checking my coil packs and noticed that #6 and #4 was not firing like the others. When I am doing the test I am just pulling the wires off the coils itself. It is the ones on the right side of the coil packs. I read your post that you said that it is usually the one on the right side that is weak when the coil starts to short. Is this right. One more thing the smoke will start to roll out the exhaust every time I unplug one of the wires from the coil pack. The smoke is white and sometimes blue. Somebody said it might be cylinder wash. Im I on the right track.

I also have new plugs.

Last edited:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I know I am going on what I see only, but what I mean coil number 1,3,2 and 5 the spark jumps to it about 1inch away from the coil and very good. Number 6 and 4 I have to actually hold the spark plug wire close before the spark actually jumps to it and then it don't seem aggressive as the other ones.