coil pack resistance

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
So I guess I've got too much time to tinker some times. Reading through the manual on the coil packs it says to disconnect each plug to the coil pack and compare the resistance. It states that it should be between 140-180 ohms.

So I set the ohm meter to 200 and I get 1.1 on each coil pack. To me that means 110. Which would be out of specs, I tested another spare set I had and it measures 1.0 or 100. Am I completely off here or does this not really matter that much. The car runs fine, I was just tinkering.

How many people have actually tried this and what reading did you get? Thanks.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You're doing something wrong with your meter. Are you sure the range is set to 200? Use the lowest range you can and still be within what the coil spec says. Get into the habit of shorting your meter's leads together anytime you set it to ohms to check for zero or close to it. And use the delta function if your meter has one to zero out lead resistance when making very low ohm measurements.

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
200 is the lowest on my meter. I was just looking up this procedure in the TSRM and it says .3 - .5 ohm when cold. The motor was still warm when I did this, I'll try it again tomorrow when its cold and see what happens.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I was wondering where that 140 t0 180 ohms was coming from as that's mighty high for a primary winding. Shouldn't be that high even when hot.

This is where a low ohms function comes in handy but cheaper meters don't have them. Lucky you have a 2000 count meter (most are higher) so in this case it actually helps.

Use the 200 scale and if you can't zero out the meter lead resistance (a few tenths of an ohm or so) just account for it. Based on the reading you got it sounds like your packs are OK though. You may want to check the plugs wires while you're in there, just for grins.

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
Thanks, I got the 140-180 from the Haynes manual. Doesn't suprise me if that is a mistake, I've noticed them before in it. But I'll trust the TSRM over it.