Coil pack ground wire questions? - please help

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have used search and could not find the specifics I needed - help or links that answer my questions would be greatly appreciated! :icon_razz

I installed the coil packs today and I could swear there was a small ground wire that came off the intake side of it when I took it off. I could not find a good pic in the TSRM, and searching here has confirmed that there is indeed supposed to be a ground. Despite labeling everything that came off the car, I cannot find this ground wire.

In reading some threads here on SM, it was suggested that improving the coil pack ground was recommended, though not many specifics were spoken about.

My questions are as follows:

Where on the coil pack do I attach the ground? Is one of the bolts that secures the bracket to the valve covers acceptable?

Where is the best place to ground it? The bolt hole in the head (IIRC this is where the small wire was attached)? Or should I run it to the intake manifold grounding point where the other stuff is grounded? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
I would run it where the old one was grounded if you can remember where it was..... if i get a chance tomorrow ill get a pic of mine

good luck

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
I think the thread you are refering to is the one about upgrading the Ignitor ground.

But anyway the coil pack ground wire goes from the small machine screw sized hole in the coil pack bracket to the head, right next to the fuel rail. There is a stud there if I recall correctly.

Ryan

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The Eddy/Foucault current drain is not needed for the ignition system to operate but you should put it on to prevent heating and possible coil crosstalk. It goes to the small hole in the head to the left of the coil plate. If the engine does weird stuff without it you have other problems.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
p744392_1.jpg

p744392_2.jpg

sorry for the crappy cel phone pics

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
90T04 said:
I think the thread you are refering to is the one about upgrading the Ignitor ground.

Thanks for the responses - that is exactly as I remembered it.

I actually found threads on upgrading this wire, which is clearly not warranted based on JJ's comments.

JetJock said:
The Eddy/Foucault current drain is not needed for the ignition system to operate but you should put it on to prevent heating and possible coil crosstalk. It goes to the small hole in the head to the left of the coil plate. If the engine does weird stuff without it you have other problems.

No other problems yet - I haven't yet got it all back together.

Thanks to everybody for the pics and info! I appreciate it!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
wow... all these years ive been grounding it to the cam cover stud that the coil pack bracket gets attached to... thanks guys