Coil pack cracks

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I've had some driveablity problems with me 1JZ since being back on the road. Some sputtering and popping going up through the rev's when boosting hard. Seems to smooth out in 4th and 5th gear when not mashing it down. Pulled off the coil packs, and took off all the rubber boots, and discovered some pretty ugly fractures on all but one of the stems. I've read here before that some folks have epoxied them, and it worked well. I have both high grade, two part epoxy, and JB Weld. Which one would work better, and do you think that this is one of my issues with the poor performance of my engine?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
im sure it has to do with the poor performance. i would use epoxy but i dont see why JB weld wouldn't work either

red91turbo

Feb 24, 2006
Houston, Texas
If the cracks are on the posts below the coil pack, use heat shrink. All you are trying to do is stop the spark from leaving the post and grounding out. Epoxy will work just fine, but it's messy. You can pick up large enough heat shrink at your local auto parts store.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Thanks for the help guy's. I used the JB, it is an insulator, and lacks the chemical adhesive that epoxy uses, thus making it considerably easier to work with. The cracks are below the coils, and go all the way through to the metal contact of the spark plug cap. I very carefully pushed enough JB into the cracks, and piled it up enough to satisfy my eyeballs, that it should be sufficient.:icon_razz That, along with some brand new NGK 6097's, gapped at .028, should bring the performance of the car up considerably:x:eek:r so I am hoping!
I will post again tommorow night with a report as to the success, or lack there of, of this makeshift repair.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
yes, let us know how it works. I used epoxy on mine and it helped with the idle and overall smoothness of the engine. My cracks wernt huge though.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Well, unfortunately it didn't seem to help at all. Feels a little stronger up top,(maybe) but it still has the horrible rough spot from about 2700-3100 rpm. Doesn't really matter what gear I'm in, just sputters and runs like total crap in that range, then smooths out and takes off like a f...in' rocket ship! I think I'm going to send my ecu out to BigAaron, for a caps repair job. If that doesn't solve the problem, Ill start looking for a new engine harness.:aigo:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
upgradedsupra;989182 said:
Hey Tom, I have an idea, buy some NEW ones and stop being cheap! ;)

Duane

I really don't think its the coil packs. I not gonna' be hastily throwing $$$ at brand new coils, untill I have the actual cause pinned down.

P.S. Its your bedtime!!!

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
91T breezen';989193 said:
I really don't think its the coil packs. I not gonna' be hastily throwing $$$ at brand new coils, untill I have the actual cause pinned down.

P.S. Its your bedtime!!!

upgradedsupra;989182 said:
Hey Tom, I have an idea, buy some NEW ones and stop being cheap! ;)

Duane

What part of the cause you have not pinned down yet (Coil pack cracks). Do your self a favor and get some new ones and the car will come alive.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
When mine where cracked, I couldn't boost pass 15 PSI before it broke up.. I stole the 2jz coil packs and it worked perfectly everything was fine. I dont know if you can realy fix them to be honest.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
I am having the same sort of problems....idle is fine but as soon as i give it some gas it sputters horrible (and will sometimes even stall out unless i let it rev up a bit before giving it gas) and then starts reving fine. What difference is there to using 2jz coilpacks compared to 1jz. I should also mention that my coils are cracked as well.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
Kosh;989487 said:
I am having the same sort of problems....idle is fine but as soon as i give it some gas it sputters horrible (and will sometimes even stall out unless i let it rev up a bit before giving it gas) and then starts reving fine. What difference is there to using 2jz coilpacks compared to 1jz. I should also mention that my coils are cracked as well.

2jzgte and 1jzgte coilpacks are the same, no differences.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
what does your air/fuel mixture look like when it sputters like that? i know in the morning my truck will do that:
sputters...sputters....go past 3k and becomes rich and BAM...takes off. i dont change the setting though because once it does warm up then its too rich at that rpm range.

when it sputters my air/fuel is like at 17or18:1 at low throttle between 2-3300rpm. i usually just let it warm up and go easy for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Check your coil pack wiring harness too. I had some of the same issues until I noticed that I had some exposed harness wires. Taped them up & it fixed my issues.

sc250tt

twins @20 psi
Mar 22, 2007
florida
High temp silicone does the job .Mines wasent causing it to break up but i saw little hairline cracks on it .Check your map or tps sensor .str8_6 it might be your temp sensor going bad.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
rakkasan;989860 said:
Check your coil pack wiring harness too. I had some of the same issues until I noticed that I had some exposed harness wires. Taped them up & it fixed my issues.

my wires were exposed too :3d_frown: