Coil on plug conversion with 2jzge cross over intake.

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
hello everyone i was wondering if there is any smart coils that can be used on the 2jzge while keeping the cross over intake? i have a mk3 with ms3x and i currently have the zz coils which is way to tall to use with that setup. any input on this subject will greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
Because my ms3x is wired for 6 individual coils already for full sequential and i wanted to keep it that way..i really don't want to rewire the harness. if it comes to the point that i just go front facing intake i guess i will. problem with that i have to change intake,FMIC and intercooler piping. well this post is to really see how many options i have before i start changing stuff.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
VVT-i coils are dumb coils, so you need a separate igniter somewhere...a step in the wrong direction.
It is said that 1zz coils can be cut about 1" to fit under the 2jz cover...google on that.

I also found this some time ago.... stealthy LS coil project. Just need to get BRANDED coils from a good supplier....many decent deals out there, with fake coils
001640x479-1.jpg
photobucket-15901-1334622944475.jpg

More pictures and info on post 24 here:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?627637-200-ignition-system-for-1000-whp...

Last edited:

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
Thanks for your input.. i currently have 1zz coils on my 7m. They way too tall. Now when they say cut 1zz coil, do they mean the boot or tip the spring is?

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
You need to confirm this from a different source, but from memory you just cut the boots to desired length. Some minor mods might be needed to cut the springs some as well.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I would say LS coil as well too. Ideally you want the Truck coils with heat sinks, then you could just pull the boots from a 2jgte coils and build brackets and go.

For the miata's I know they do the 1zz coils, and it fits well for them, but they have issues at high boost (18+ range)

Also, with the LS coils, you could always mount the coils wherever, and get long wires.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Yeah, LS coils are nice.

But you don't need to buy heat sink style coils...The ones without heat sinks are more than powerful enough, and more linear. Branded coils are very important, maaaany fakes out there.
Keep in mind though that most coils without heat-sinks will auto-fire with dwell above 4ms causing ignition advance. They auto-fire to protect them selves from overheating (no heat sink).
So keep things below 4ms.

With that said... my D514a's could probably kill a horse with that 4ms spark.
It was six extremely powerful sequenced sparks, lighting up my engine bay in test-mode. Just love that MS test mode.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Ah shit, I missed the N/A intake pipe totally. Thought you where talking about the plastic cover on the GTE models.
Cant see a good way to sort that N/A intake without going CNP (CoilNearPlug) with wires.

Make two bracket for 3 LS coils on intake cam cover. 3 coils fwd of the intake pipe, 3 aft of the intake pipe.
two sets will give you 6 coils.

get Truck coil wires for the LQ motors (they are 1" longer than LS wires) and you are there. That's how I made mine fit... could probably find a picture somewhere..

3tc power

Jan 3, 2009
Tampa FL.
Radial;2059764 said:
Ah shit, I missed the N/A intake pipe totally. Thought you where talking about the plastic cover on the GTE models.
Cant see a good way to sort that N/A intake without going CNP (CoilNearPlug) with wires.

Make two bracket for 3 LS coils on intake cam cover. 3 coils fwd of the intake pipe, 3 aft of the intake pipe.
two sets will give you 6 coils.

get Truck coil wires for the LQ motors (they are 1" longer than LS wires) and you are there. That's how I made mine fit... could probably find a picture somewhere..

you have any pictures of your setup Radial?