Coffee creamer oil, Coolant gushing from the radiator on acceleration, idle miss =/

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
1989 Toyota Supra 7mge, 5 spd.

Mileage : 153,xxx

So guess what I got?...I got the BHG, Not really all that surprised...In any case I'd like a few questions answered if someone has the
extra time to instruct me on this procedure.For the most part, I get the jist of how it goes...But I do have a few questions.

1. I'm not dropping the entire motor, How do I get the timing cover area flush with the block deck if i"m leaving the short block in the vehicle?

2. If I have the head decked and get the smallest amount taken off, Can I still use an OEM Toyota Head gasket ?..
or Will I have to compensate for even the smallest amount of head taken off?.. && Yes, I'm going to use ARP Head bolts.

3. If I have any burnt, pitted etc valves...What valves would be the best for reliability & longevity....?

Obviously, Im not chasing a HP goal, I just want a reliable and fun to drive Supra.. Any help would be nice.

I also saw a thread quite a while back about rebuilding the 7mge/7mgte but couldt find it, If anybody has it saved I'd appreciate it. =]

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
slow_yota;1770387 said:
1. I'm not dropping the entire motor, How do I get the timing cover area flush with the block deck if i"m leaving the short block in the vehicle?

2. If I have the head decked and get the smallest amount taken off, Can I still use an OEM Toyota Head gasket ?..
or Will I have to compensate for even the smallest amount of head taken off?.. && Yes, I'm going to use ARP Head bolts.

3. If I have any burnt, pitted etc valves...What valves would be the best for reliability & longevity....?

Obviously, Im not chasing a HP goal, I just want a reliable and fun to drive Supra.. Any help would be nice.

I also saw a thread quite a while back about rebuilding the 7mge/7mgte but couldt find it, If anybody has it saved I'd appreciate it. =]

1) Just clean the block with a scraper and dont let anything drop down into the oil galley or coolant channels.

2)Yes, you can still use the stock gasket if you deck the head. Use ARP Headstuds.

3)You could get new valves if any need replacing OR get a valve job for the head. Full rebuild, hot tank, shim adjustment, valve seal replacement and a valve job.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Only the oil above the head is milky, Drained the oil pan..Looks clean and pure.

"1) Just clean the block with a scraper and dont let anything drop down into the oil galley or coolant channels."

Why does everything on the net insist that you deck the timing cover when installing a HG ?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You deck it when you deck the block.

The oil is shared throughout the engine. If you have oil contamination in the head, you have oil contamination in the block.

It's your car, you can risk doing just the head and if it knocked right after you'll be doing it all over again. If it knocks really bad, you'll be doing a whole lot more...

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
Scraping the block is ghetto, but doable if you use the factory or fel-pro style gasket. If you go to a metal gasket you really need to deck both sides or atleast lap both sides. Metal requires both sides to be perfectly flat and smooth to seal right. Toyota holds their MLS headgasket engines to a much tighter tolerance standard then most local machine shops (atleast the ones in NC) can provide with old ass machines. Get a laser cut lapping block with diamond paste and go to town.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Well, Since I already said that I wasnt going to pull the engine.
That led me to believe that was another process of fixing that issue.

I have a spare 7mge in the garage, If I was going to pull the oem engine. I might as well roll
around on this coolant eating monster until it blows and rebuild the extra 7mge in the garage this winter.

I honestly like this the best though..

"Get a laser cut lapping block with diamond paste and go to town"

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Got a feeling you would be wasting your time and money if you don't rebuild the whole motor. Not to mention very good possiblity of doing a lot more damage, more time and money.