CODE 71...help anyone?

noremacsupra

beginner
Jan 29, 2007
Los Angeles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I blew my HG and I just got a used stock 7mgte engine, however i had to use my egr system because of the sensor on the egr...so i installed my old egr to the engine that i have now...now i have a code 71? help anyone?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 71 is only on CA cars...if the sensor is not hooked up (or if there's a circuit problem), it will throw a code on those cars. The other reason is EGT gas temps are below a certain level...the real reason the code 71 is programmed on a CA car ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
How does the ECU know to expect a certain temp? My code 71 comes on normally after highway driving for at least 10 miles, sometimes more than 50. What triggers the temp sensor to look for a certain temp?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's the ECU...the sensor simply provides input to the CA ECU (labeled THG). The code can also indicate a problem with the EGR VSV or it's circuit....again, only on CA cars.

I tried to find the temp threshold that triggers the ECU, but no luck.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
jdub;983749 said:
Code 71 is only on CA cars...if the sensor is not hooked up (or if there's a circuit problem), it will throw a code on those cars. The other reason is EGT gas temps are below a certain level...the real reason the code 71 is programmed on a CA car ;)

Ahh... knowledge...

The more you know..**STAARRR**

noremacsupra

beginner
Jan 29, 2007
Los Angeles
same thing exactly happened to me..a friend of mine told me to clean it due to all the carbon build up..but i dont know..i havent done it yet..
suprarx7nut;983741 said:
I have a code 71 also. It came on shortly after my BHG fix.

I need to triple check my vacuum routing.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
noremacsupra;984115 said:
cool...so meaning if i have a faulty vsv that could trigger the ecu to throw a code 71?

That's one of the potential problem areas listed in the TSRM ;)

noremacsupra

beginner
Jan 29, 2007
Los Angeles
alright thanks..i have a question...there are two vsv's that i see..how would i know which goes were?the 2 wires that connect to the vsv's are the same and fits both vsv?

jdub;984119 said:
That's one of the potential problem areas listed in the TSRM ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The two VSV's are the same...the forward one on the manifold is the high temp fuel pressure up VSV. It is vented to the atmosphere when 12 volt power is applied (from the ECU) to it:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=116

The EGR VSV is mounted on the rear of the manifold. It operates and can be tested the same way:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EC&P=18

My '89 wiring diagram shows a red/black stripe wire going to the fuel pressure up VSV and a red/blue stripe wire going to the EGR VSV.