code 64 on my autotranny

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I searched and asked awhile back but no answers so no yelling...I have a problem with my tranny as you can see by the title. The darn thing wont stay in gear, and shifts at almost redline. I changed out the filter, and added some new oil but no major improvement. The lockup solenoid apparently is messed up, and I need to know if my tranny is shot or if I can fix it myself?

Not to mention it will sometimes stall when I put it in reverse after it sat for a few minuets. Soooo thats about all my problems there ^. Just tell me if I do or do not need to replace my tranny, or tell me how to fix this. Thanks!

64 Defective lockup solenoid or short circuit-severed wire harness or short circuit.
-Joe

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I don't know man. It could really be anything. It sounds like it'll shift but won't stay in gear. That tells me the tranny is slipping. Why, I have no idea. the upside is it's an easy fix for guessing around 2k.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I really want to go 5 speed, but, it would just be cheaper to have another auto put in then to do the whole conversion. I just need to get the car back on the road, and although I really want to do the conversion...the logical thing to do in my position would be to just swap in another auto. Thanks for the effort Supramacist, your the only one that tried, and thanks Will for the suggestion!

Last edited:

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I can understand about getting the car back on the road. I am in the same boat with a nice budget this time around. I plan to keep mine on the road. Let us know how it goes. I wish I could have been more help. Good Luck.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The darn thing wont stay in gear
What do you mean? The range selector moves on its own? It drops to neutral?

and shifts at almost redline.
That is what it is supposed to do.

I know, you mean at part throttle, not WOT. Shift timing is determined by the trans ECU based on Engine ECU and speed sensors.

I changed out the filter, and added some new oil but no major improvement.
No major improvement? So that means there was some? You many have the incorrect level. You need to check when hot.

The lockup solenoid apparently is messed up
Get if fixed. It could be an electrical problem. Or the valve body is dirty.

and I need to know if my tranny is shot or if I can fix it myself?
It can not be determined if the trans is in need of a rebuild based on the information provided. Pressure tests should be performed after the known defects are repaired, and the correct fluid is at the correct level when hot. I have no idea if you can rebuild a trans if it needs it.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
It wont stay in gear like it will drop to neutral. It's as if It cant decide
whether or not it wants to be in gear or not. I'll give it gas, and its as if I
have it in neutral, it has no go what so ever. But this is only occasional yet
often enough to make driving it a pain!

As far as the tranny going into gear, it doesn't engage until about 4500-
5000 rpms, and when it does, it has a really harsh engagement. The level of
the fluid is fine, I must have checked it numerous times to ensure I put back
in what I took out, this includes a check when it was hot.

What has to be done to have the solenoid fixed? Is it a major job? and as
far as it being dirty, can I just have a place flush the tranny (without any
form of solvent) in effort to clean the valve body? Or would this require a
more in depth procedure to clean it? because, although possible none the
less, I doubt the possibility of an electrical fault.

Well, I think thats about it...If you need any more information let me know.

-Joe

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
You seem to be answering your own Q's joe. LOL, it sounds like you need a tranny tech. You may take it and change the fluid in the tranny, this I have seen clear up probs like you are having, but not always. I think your worst case scenario is a rebuilt tranny. It sounds like you need to be seeking out someone you trust to do this work, I say this because I know I can not do mine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Fix the known defects and have a qualified shop perform the pressure tests listed in TSRM. They will probably do a visual of the valve body also.

Don't be suprised if the shop eventually wants to do a tear down to look inside the trans.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Well, I appreciate all the help you guys had to offer, and heres what I have decided. I figured since the tranny had well over 160+ miles on it, and rather then spend the money to get it rebuilt or whatever, I decided to replace it. Heres the crazy part, called a shop we know, and asked how much it would be to have a tranny dropped in if we supplied them with another one. Turns out they had one at there shop, and apparently it's rebuilt. Was only used for about 10 miles.

Some lady who had it before, blew her motor when she drove it around low on oil! They said they would sell it to us, and drop it in. It's really kinda crazy how it all worked out!