Code 53 Help

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Just bought a 87 5spd turbo, the only code it has is code 53 which is knock sensor program in the ecu is faulty. Only way to fix it is too replace the ecu.

My question is this what cause the ecu to be faulty in the first place and how many of the members of this forum had a code 53 before?

I don't want to change the ecu and watever caused this ecu to mess up will mess up the next one if its a wiring or faulty knock sensor. I know the other codes will pop up if there a short in the circuit or faulty knock sensor signal but could that also be the cause of the code 53?

thanks guys

Ron

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Somebody on here made my friend a jumper harness for the knock sensors. It was like a mini wire loom that solderd into 2 clear wires up at the ecu and ran to the knock sensors the same route that the rest of the harness takes. Car runs really good now. It was my buddy mk3drake or some variation of that name. Look at my friend list and he's on there and he can tell you who made his harness. BTW I think he bought a few items from you recently.... Good Luck

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
well i rewired just one of them and i didnt get the code anymore but about 2 weeks later i started to get the code again. but i think this was my wiring job. im not good at all with electrical. but it did stop my prob. for a little while and my car ran awesome.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

and i didnt change my ecu no . should i have?

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
bombinuass;1553267 said:
well i rewired just one of them and i didnt get the code anymore but about 2 weeks later i started to get the code again. but i think this was my wiring job. im not good at all with electrical. but it did stop my prob. for a little while and my car ran awesome.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

and i didnt change my ecu no . should i have?

well the tsrm and jetjock says this

52 Knock Sensor Signal
Diagnosis
* Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal.
Trouble Area
* Knock sensor circuit
* Knock sensor
* ECU

53 Knock Control Signal in ECU
Diagnosis
* Knock control program faulty.
Trouble Area
* ECU

if anythingfix up your wiring job and let me know if it got rid of the code 53 and just for question which knock sensor was it? the one in the front or back?

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
IBoughtASupra;1553291 said:
It is extremely rare that these computer so bad. I have only seen one go bad and that was because the person shorted it out.

Thats what i was thinking too bro, but i was just curious if its the really the wiring of the knock sensor thts causing code 53 and not the fact that its the ecu itself, even tho the tsrm is saying otherwise

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
lol im sorry man. i saw the knock sensor and i assumed it was code 53. because my codes were 43 and 52 so i assumed my codes were 42 and 53 not 43 and 52. sorry man. lol

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
I don't know if its up on the boards or not anymore but I believe Shaeff has a nice how to on a knock sensor rewire. I actually printed it off a couple years ago to do one on my old 87 and it worked awesome. Does take some soldering skills and electrical know how.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I say get an ECU from Ebay or someone here, try replacing it. If no luck then it's not the ecu.
Just sell it again for what you paid.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
supraguy@aol;1554365 said:
I say get an ECU from Ebay or someone here, try replacing it. If no luck then it's not the ecu.
Just sell it again for what you paid.

orderd one from ebay but right now my car is apart geting the engine bay repainted and a slight rebuild. What i would like to do is take my old ecu and swap it into another car but i dont have any running 87-88 7mgte 5spd supras near me to test. All the ones i kno are down