code 51 no spark cps wiring help

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
ok just got a 89 turbo and haven't been able to get it started the cps was wired all funny i was wondering if i have it wired correctly see the picture

Also i have code 51 and its not my ac switch and im in neutral when it flashes. i tested the igniter and it failed the first test in the tsrm

so my questions are would my car start with code 51

would my igniter test bad because of code 51

is there anyway to test the cps to see if its bad or not

STARTED REPOST FARTHER DOWN THE PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The igniter has nothing to do with a code 41 ;)

The TPS itself or it's wiring to the ECU is a different story.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
code 51.....isnt that knock sensor? :dunno: i had a problem on my 87t with the ignition coil wire harness. right where it plugs into the main harness. make sure the coil pack is grounded also. mine was not and it kept it from starting. before i went changing things, definatly check connections, seems to be an ikilies heal of this car, other than the head gasket, lol.

how i found my short, while others may disagree to this method, have someone crank it over while you gently mess with connections. im sure theres a better way, but this was a direct aproch and it worked great for me! :thumbup:

to sum things up, code 41, it should still fire up, wont run well, or idle well, but should fire up, same with the other code. wount have piss for power but will start. keep us posted!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 52 = knock sensor.
Code 51 = TPS IDL signal.

The coil pack ground to the motor had nothing to do with your start problem...it's a field ground. Basically a drain for stray voltage. Whatever fixed the car was a coincidence when you redid the ground.

Code 41 is a problem with the VTA signal circuit from the TPS...the ECU detects the TB plate as either full open or full closed. This puts the ECU in fail-safe mode where a set throttle opening angle is used. The car should run, but not well (assuming there are no other problems).

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
OK got a good igniter and i have cleared code 51 and 41 still NO SPARK

so far i have

tested coil packs they ohm good
tested power to coils 12vlts
tested power to the igniter 12 vlts
checked for ground in the igniter

tested the cps wires
G2,G1,NE all ohm 150
air gap is a tight .08

i have two water tempature wires that r disconnected would that cause the car not to start isnt there a 5 vlt reference signal sent it by the ecu
does it need reset? heres a pic of the wires

Attachments

• thermostat wires.jpg
    thermostat wires.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 8