Code 51 and dashpot issue

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
So lately I've noticed the throttle valve occasionally slamming shut when I release the gas pedal. I figured I would swap out the dashpot for a spare one but, as I was driving the car home I hit a decent bump in the road and the CEL came on. Great, right? So the code turned out to be 51, and the car began to have idle issues. Then after I cleared the codes and started the Supra back up she ran fine.

I've never had code 51 before so I guess my question is, are these two issues somehow related? Or is my TPS on it's way out?

I have yet to switch out the dashpot and drive the car so I'll report back on that later. I am also going to test the TPS as per TSRM

*On a side note, I have another 7mgte TPS but, I noticed the numbers don't match up. Are TPSs interchangeable between years and USDM vs JDM?

Thanks,

Chris

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Nice looking car.

The dashpot can be checked by seeing if it's airtight: open the throttle and pinch the hose above the VTV. If the dashpot holds the VTV is bad. As you said the 51 can be checked by measuring the TPS per the TSRM. To check the wiring jumper the pins on the harness connector. That said some of what you wrote doesn't make sense. A 51 will never illuminate the MIL when the system isn't in diag mode and the code never gets set into memory.

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
Thanks for the reply.

It was pretty dark when I went to check codes, perhaps I jumped the wrong terminals by mistake? Still doesn't really explain the rough idle.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get a chance to work on the Supra this weekend.

Thanks again,

Chris