code 34

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
so my car starting today ive drove it all day yesterday with no problems
so im headed to work this morning and i turn out on the parkway and slam it she runs up through first hits second (auto) and just slams my face in the steering wheel check light comes on and then starts pulling again.
so i get to work check the codes and code 34
which is:
turbo charger pressure
"turbo charger pressure is abnormal under high load driving"
trouble areas
turbo pressure sensor/turbo pressure sensor wiring/turbo/ecu
now the car is stock with a shimmed waste gate at 10psi
the car has a blown power steering pump which happened Monday replacing on Saturday
my ? is do you think its throwing the code because the motor is under more load with the blown pump?
i have a friend who is gonna let me use his sensor on saturday to do some trial and error.
thanks
justin

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I doubt it has anything to do with the ps pump.
As you'll probably hear from a number of people soon, it sounds like a boost leak.
Check all of the intercooler hoses for cracks, especially on the sides you can't normally see.
A common one to crack is the compressor output hose, as it's closest to the exhaust heat.
Also check to make sure all the clamps are tight.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Yeah, there could be a boost leak, but at 10psi you're already borderline fuel cut range on a stock car...wouldn't be surprised if slightly colder air this morning was what pushed it over the edge.

I'm skeptical as well on the blown pump explanation but if you really want to check that then take the P/S belt off and see how the car behaves then.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
i was thinking the colder air too but it did it this afternoon too on the way home so idk ill check the clamps and pipe this weekend when i do the ps pump as well im gonna pull one washer out and see what happens.
any other things i sould check?
i also forgot to mention it has a aftermarket BOV on it

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've never hit FC in first gear. I think that with more load in second gear, you get more airflow thru the AFM, and you're boosting in 2nd longer than first.
Dunno if I explained that quite right.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is not enough load or time to hit full boost in first. Vented bov would not matter either unless its leaking.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
ok i just noticed something last night my heater control valve has been leaking from the hoses PO put cheap heater hoses on it i have the new ones but i noticed it is running down on to the hard vacuum line below right where it meets the rubber line. and noticed its forcing coolant over to the sensor do you guys think that the coolant could shorted out the sensor? if that made any since i will try to get a picture and give u a visual.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
What sensor are you talking about? If you mean the "turbo pressure sensor" that you mentioned in your first post, it's only for the gauge. This sensor has nothing to do with you hitting fuel cut...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats just the heater vsv. It could have shorted out the circuits possibly. Check for a blown fuse or else you control valve could be stuck.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
good news i found my problem pulled the lower piping off this past saturday and the tube that conects to the turbo had a crack about half way down it and dident feel like ruber any more it felt like plastic. so i called toyota and talked to my hook up justin... and he qouted me 145bucks for that one tube. so i said F it and got this complete kit off ebay that came highly recomended by several supra owners......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=200305954977
the supra is now in pieces siting on the street in front of my house while i wait for the kit. but the good thing is i know what happend and i now have a reason to upgrade it.... and i also have some time to pull some things out of the bay for some fresh paint.
i will post some pics of it later im working on polishing some things.
thanks for all the help
justin