Code 34 + 31

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Any solution other than throwing a new AFM at it? No it's not a boost leak I swear. The car will hit it at 7PSI and continue boosting to 10PSI like nothing happened, and it doesn't sluff off or anything, it boosts strong.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Code 34.... If you have Wastegate Shims, Remove them and that will clear that up.

Code 31... Wipe off your AFM Sensor with a """DRY""" rag and make sure your Housing Screw hasnt been tampered with. If that doesnt sove the Problem, look at the connections and ensure its plugged in all the way and there isnt wires showing. If all fails, change out your AFM Sensor

Robert

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
supraguy31 said:
Code 34.... If you have Wastegate Shims, Remove them and that will clear that up.

Code 31... Wipe off your AFM Sensor with a """DRY""" rag and make sure your Housing Screw hasnt been tampered with. If that doesnt sove the Problem, look at the connections and ensure its plugged in all the way and there isnt wires showing. If all fails, change out your AFM Sensor

Robert

Removing the WG shims doesn't solve the problem, it does it with or without. When it starts to spool up it hits code 34. The AFM sensor is clean and the housing is untouched. The IAT sensor is clean also.

EDIT: My thinking is that they are related. A very reliable source has let me in on that, but I never recieved a solution other than "Stop boostin' it" (even though he's right).
Oh and the harness is new and the connection is of course solid.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Could be a sticking wastegate also. Code 34.... Abnormal turbo Pressure, I did this once to my car also and as soon as I shimmed it, Code 34 Popped on.

Im sure you Know this but make sure you reset your ECU to get rid of stored codes. I forgot to do that before also.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
supraguy31 said:
Could be a sticking wastegate also. Code 34.... Abnormal turbo Pressure, I did this once to my car also and as soon as I shimmed it, Code 34 Popped on.

Im sure you Know this but make sure you reset your ECU to get rid of stored codes. I forgot to do that before also.

Mostly does it when it's first spooling though, before the WG even opens, like between shifts. Could it be sticking open from the previous turbocharger pressure? I had the turbo out about 3k Miles ago, it was in good condition along with the WG.

In response to your edit, I check my codes every week and clear them after I do anything to remedy them.

Last edited:

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Thats a Posibility. Wastegates are funny like that sometimes, Either Sticking Shut or not closing correctly. I would check it. Stock turbo boost is only 5-7 psi and 7 is a little on the High Side. All of mine boosted at or around 6 PSI.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
supraguy31 said:
Thats a Posibility. Wastegates are funny like that sometimes, Either Sticking Shut or not closing correctly. I would check it. Stock turbo boost is only 5-7 psi and 7 is a little on the High Side. All of mine boosted at or around 6 PSI.

Open downpipe ;)

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Okay, heres my thinking: if the Intake Temperature Sensor is the code I'm getting (31) then wouldn't that effect the way my car hits fuel cut?
The purpose of the IAT is to measure how hot the air that's being sucked into the intake is therefore measuring in a way how dense the air is.
If the IAT is malfunctioning and is reading that I'm sucking in less air than I actually am into the intake, wouldn't that cause code 34 if the readings were far enough off?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
jetjock said:
^ All that sounds plausible except for one thing: code 31 has nothing to do with IAT. The code for a defective IAT is 24. Code 31 is for a fault in the Ks signal.

Oh... looks like that CRC AFM cleaner is bad news afer all. :eek:wned:
Time for a new one...

Thanks JJ.