Code 24 and 51

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
As the title states I checked my engine codes today because my idle was a bit high. As a result of checking the codes, I received a code 24 and 51. I pulled the efi fuse and pulled codes again....same thing. From what I have read, code 24 is something you don't really need to worry about fixing??

According to the TSRM, the probable causes of the code 51 are:

* A/C switch circuit
* A/C switch
* A/C amplifier
* Throttle position sensor circuit
* Throttle position sensor
* ECU

I did not have my a/c button pressed in so that eliminates that idea, nor did I have my foot on the accelerator. The only thing I can think of is my TPS. Is there anything else that could be causing the 51?

Info on car: 87 with a turbo engine from an 89 swapped to 5 speed also.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Stepping on the throttle while in diagnostic mode will set a code 51 as well.

N/m.... durrr...
primercrx;1460690 said:
nor did I have my foot on the accelerator.

Last edited:

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
dbsupra90;1460692 said:
stock afm?

yes you need to adjust your tps and check the wiring for the 51.

Yes, stock afm. Also, for whatever reason, my temp. gauge isn't working. I've replaced the temp sensor. I'm gonna replace the sender unit that goes to the gauge cluster and also check for continuity/resistance at the cluster itself to ensure I have power to it...even though all my other gauges work except my speedo b/c I haven't swapped speedo's yet.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
afm or wiring will cause the code 24 (intake air temp sensor).

the sensor feeding the gauge should be a small gray single pin connector. pretty sure the wire is yellow with a green stripe. it's the one near the bottom on back side.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
dbsupra90;1460699 said:
afm or wiring will cause the code 24 (intake air temp sensor).

the sensor feeding the gauge should be a small gray single pin connector. pretty sure the wire is yellow with a green stripe. it's the one near the bottom on back side.

Yea, you are correct, that is the wire color for the sending sensor for the gauge. If it makes any difference for the 24, I didn't have my Apexi intake on it because I am still waiting for it to come in. I am trying to get all the kinks worked out of this car before I actually put it on the road. Once I get these two things worked out it will pretty be ready. Yay :D.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
I got my temperature to work :D. It was the sender unit for the cluster. Also, I found jetjock's writeup about the code 51, but I am trying to find another source of information regarding proper adjustment of tps. Any thoughts/ideas/websites?

Last edited:

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
jetjock;1462695 said:
The TSRM would be your best bet and no, I'm not Jdub ;)

Yea, I know. I corrected it haha. Maybe I'm just stupid but I couldn't find the TPS in the TSRM. I'm trying to get it adjusted correctly so I can set my ignition timing. It's off slightly causing my car to run kinda funny, lol.